You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

multichannel EXR passes get loaded as separate channels

Hello,

Affinity Photo loads the the AOVs of multipass openEXR files as separate (greyscale) layers (reflection.red, reflection.green etc.), instead of combining them to a proper RGB layer, which makes working with exr files very unpractical.

exrBug.PNG

The same problem was reported a few years ago, and it seems, it's still not fixed.

I'm referring to the following Topic:

Software used to generate exr files:

Cinema 4d 25 and redshift (latest version).

I had the same same problem with another software, and it was fixed within hours:

https://sourceforge.net/p/mrviewer/discussion/general/thread/ede498e4d7/

Of course I'm not expecting to get a fix this quickly, but just wanted to say, that it shouldn't be a huge problem so solve.

Thanks.

Kind regards,
Matthias

Edit: I attached a wetransfer link to an example file:

https://we.tl/t-DbH4oGIt4p

Thanks for the response. Didn't find this thread before.

I just tried it with the "direct" output, but couldn't get it to work properly.

As far as I know, the Direct Output setting in the AOV manager, is used to write separate files for each AOV.

These files, are one combined RBG layer in AP, let's say "reflection" for example, but it's not a multipass file.

Well, I'll ask if the user can share the exact settings, maybe I'm missing something.

Thanks again!

Nonetheless, even if it works this way, it's only a workaround and shouldn't be the standard method, so I still hope this will get fixed.

• Staff

I logged an improvement a while ago which would allow the user to choose how they are imported. We're seeing more and reports similar to this so hopefully we can see this implemented in the future.

• 2 years later...
  • 2 months later...
On 11/16/2023 at 4:13 PM, InigoRotaetxe said:

Hi, has there been any further development regarding this issue?

Hi, I'm currently working with multichannel EXR's rendered with Blender 3.6.7, containing multiple passes, but I don't have this issue here using Affinity Designer/Photo 2.3.1.

I didn't use Maya or C4d yet, so can't tell anything about Arnold's output, so it might indeed be a compatibility issue, but are you absolutely sure it's not Arnold splitting these channels into individual layers in the EXR output?

Because Blender Cycles renderer generates an RGB LAYER with R, G and B CHANNELS in the Exr just fine (also the vector channels are having X, Y, Z combined into single layers) which Affinity handles just as expected here. I'm still new to using EXR's and output multiple passes, but it looks like to me it's up to the renderer how they split up the channels into layers?

(BTW for the record; the issue you reacted to is in the v1-forum. there's no development anymore to the Affinity v1 series since they released v2, so it might as well be that this is indeed fixed in v2 and that that's the reason it's working here)

image.png.3454ea1713cf67202cf030a4b317a1e0.png

On 9/20/2021 at 2:08 PM, matthias.linsbauer said:

which makes working with exr files very unpractical.

First, I rate this as bug and hope Affinity is able to fix this or at least provides an option during opening exr files to automatically recombine the channels.

While waiting for that to happen, it is simple to recombine channels with help of channels mixer and blend mode add as workaround.

In Photo you may record a macro to automate the process completely.

Mac mini M1 A2348 | Windows 10 - AMD Ryzen 9 5900x - 32 GB RAM - Nvidia GTX 1080

LG34WK950U-W, calibrated to DCI-P3 with LG Calibration Studio / Spider 5

iPad Air Gen 5 (2022) A2589

Special interest into procedural texture filter, edit alpha channel, RGB/16 and RGB/32 color formats, stacking, finding root causes for misbehaving files, finding creative solutions for unsolvable tasks, finding bugs in Apps.