You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Failed to Save Due to Internal Error

Adam Smith

Designer Version: 1.10.1142

OS Windows 10 home version 20H2 build 19042.1237

Hardware acceleration on (makes no difference either way)

Designer shows pop up with message: "Failed to save document... Save failed due to an internal error. This should be reported to the development team."

Can I reproduce the fault - yes but only so far with the one document attached.

A new document does not provide the same error. For this test document I created a new file, added a rectangle to this. Some text over the rectangle then using the layers panel moved the text "within" the rectangle. Grouped the text and rectangle and then promoted the group to a layer. Saving this out produces no save error.

The error with the attached document is created by doing the following:

1. Select a group then use the layer menu > promote group to layer
  2. Now attempt to save the file using CTRL S

Error will be generated on save attempt.

Interestingly I tried to SAVE As which appeared to save the file out however, attempting to reload the new file gives an unknown file type error upon trying to reload the file.

The save error is generated whether I try to promote either the page border group or drawing info group (at bottom of layers panel). I have tried this with three different groups within this file and each one generates the error after promotion to layer.

For what its worth I have save history with document turned on which for such a simple drawing (yes I know) is making the file huge but may be of help... when drawing finished this can be turned off to reduce file size.

Any ideas?

Cheers,

Adam.

VTE 01 - FoH Domestic Main A3.afdesign

• Staff

Hi Adam,

Thank you very much for the steps and the file. I'm able to reproduce that here so will get it passed on to development. I can't see anything obvious in the History. However I did find that if I copied all the objects to a new A3 document it does allow you to promote them to a layer and then save.

I will get your file passed on to development to investigate.

EDIT: Alternatively disabling 'Save document with history' also allows you to save without a problem, which would explain why it works in a new document.

• 3 months later...

Hey @Sean P,

thanks for the hint about Save History with Document, that finally did the trick for me!

In future versions I would prefer the error message to refer to this rather than just spitting out a (for us users) vacuous error message and that we should contact you – without giving a hint how. 😁

Greetings and a happy new year! 🎉

2023_b.png.6eb47882072cc58253b7219526339b14.png