You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Affinity Designer Customer Beta (1.3.5.8)

something like "Hide selection while moving object" otherwise people might assume this just persistently hides objects' bounding boxes.

That's exactly what I thought. I was about to say it wasn't working for me as it didn't hide what I had selected.

I am not sure what to make of this behavior. For sure, there is a certain pattern:

• If you move an object, that is independent of an art board, across the boundaries of that art board, it will slip into that very art board.
  • If you move an object, that is nested to an art board, across the boundaries of that art board, it will get independent of that art board.

But note that the object disappears, when you deselect the object after moving an independent object across art board boundaries … see my second movie with the green square.

Is that intended?  :unsure:

EDIT It’s basically the same as reported here: https://forum.affinity.serif.com/index.php?/topic/14991-bug-ad-1358-artboards-now-you-see-it-now-you-dont/

No more ability to use old export engine.   :(  I am unable to export and use Sign Cut software without having this capability.  Can you please put the old export engine back in as an option?

The problem is that no text gets imported into SignCut even when "embed fonts: text as curves" is selected with current PDF export advanced options.

We won't be putting back the old PDF export engine, but we will fix bugs in the new one. It does look like Text as Curves is broken, and we'll fix that in the next beta. Thanks for reporting it, and sorry for the inconvenience.

• Staff

The Studio sidebar is always missing when opening ADB. I have to reset it each time.

The layer tab is buggy on opening documents, it may show no layers at all or layers for another opened document.

I am on Mavericks.

This build currently only works on Yosemite and El Capitan.

I'm afraid the current build does not work on Maverick. Sorry for the inconvenience.

It was impossible for me to set export resolution and jpeg compression level in the export settings panes (through direct export or the export persona). Forms elements are present but not operational.

Which format are you exporting in? What is the symptom that shows it doesn't work?

I just tested PDF, and JPEG quality did get used, and so did Raster DPI. For example, in the File > Export panel both affected the size of the file. (Of course, there needs to be a rasterised portion in the file.)

This build currently only works on Yosemite and El Capitan.

I'm afraid the current build does not work on Maverick. Sorry for the inconvenience.

OK, I didn't see that. 

Which format are you exporting in? What is the symptom that shows it doesn't work?

I just tested PDF, and JPEG quality did get used, and so did Raster DPI. For example, in the File > Export panel both affected the size of the file. (Of course, there needs to be a rasterised portion in the file.)

Dave: mostly pdf in various derivations. The form just look right, but checkbox (like enabling jpg compression) are uncheckable, fields with values and drop-down mechanism are not selectable in any way. It's only the part about document resolution and jpg compression that misbehave. I guess: this is probably related to the Maverick incompatibility.

Hello guys. It's my first post here but have been using Affinity Designer from day 1. I love it.  A bug that's always bothered me is the drawing error along the left of the canvas, even when it's displayed at 100%. 

I like to use Designer/Illustrator to make accurate drawings. So these kinds of display errors are really off putting when using the canvas size as a border. I always work at 100% for accuracy but that bug. I can't not see it.

I'll attach a clip of the problem if you don't know what I'm talking about:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/2423042/display_issues.mov

Hi guys bit of feedback on the latests and greatest -> lots of love for the Artboards although I've notice some odd behaviour. 

• If you copy an object from an Artboard and try to paste into another, it prefers to paste into the previous Artboard or Artboard 1. The expected behaviour would be to paste into the Artboard I have selected/I have an object inside it selected.
  • When moving an object around it seems to be automatically assigned to the artboard I'm dragging over. I'd like to be able to turn this behaviour off as it doesn't always suit the task in hand - when you don't want that behaviour theres a tendency to Hulk-up at that point!
  • When drag n dropping an image into a file (possibly only ones with Artboards) it sometime won't accept it and instead loads it as a new file. I can't repro this at the mo though.
  • And a old favourite of mine now... could we please please please have multi-select of slices to toggle 'ticking' for exports??? Some of us have about 100 slices to manage in a file (or is it just me)? :)

Fantastic work as ever guys and gals... keeeeep dancing.

• Staff

Hi smallreflection,

We are aware of this. Guides (and other features) are being "revamped" to work per-artboard rather than at a document level and currently are removed if you open the project in Designer Beta. If you are using Designer for production work it's probably better to work with the MAS version until artboards are finished.

[EDIT] Affinity Designer Beta 1.3.5.9 fixes the Guides issue.

@RedGunner

Welcome to Affinity Forums :)

I'm having trouble reproducing this. Does it change position when you change the zoom level?

@MEB

Thank you.

Yeah it moves around the canvas. For example at 100% it's on the left, at 200% along both the left and right. It depends on the document. I've always had this issue since Designer first came out.

In possible relation, I noticed as the canvas updates as I zoom in and out, I see a white edge pop up around the canvas border. I'm guessing it's a redraw issue where the canvas border fails to update as you change zoom levels then continues to not update as you work?

By the way, although this beta do not "support" Mavericks, I was able to create a basic document with background image and some text and graphics and export as pdf X/3 (standard settings) with bleeds and printing marks (never tried the previous beta while it was said that pdf export was totally broken). That looked really nice. trim box and bleed box all included. Still some bugs in the export of the graphics, though.

• Staff

@vonBusing

There's new Beta to address Mavericks and earlier OS's issues. Check it out: Affinity Designer Beta 1.3.5.9.

@RedGunner,

This second issue, "the white edge moving around the canvas as we change the zoom" is a known issue and it's related with the way Affinity renders the screen. It doesn't affect the file or output in any way. The first clip/issue you posted is the one i'm not able to reproduce yet where you drag a black rectangle around the canvas borders and it displays a few artifacts...

By the way, although this beta do not "support" Mavericks, I was able to create a basic document with background image and some text and graphics and export as pdf X/3 (standard settings) with bleeds and printing marks (never tried the previous beta while it was said that pdf export was totally broken). That looked really nice. trim box and bleed box all included. Still some bugs in the export of the graphics, though.

If you tell us what the bugs are, we might be able to fix them. (Preferably with a simple example .afdesign file.)

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.