You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

[ADe] Paste in Place/in Front/in Back

• Staff

We will paste in place as long the object will be visible on the screen. This works well for me at the moment as I often just paste to get a copy and then move the copy a few pixels. If the pasted object would be outside the visible area then it just pastes it in the centre.

Paste in front is what happens by default in Affinity. Paste behind and on top of layer is handled currently be setting an insert target available on the top right toolbar.

• 2 years later...

Because this is related I will post it here (apology if I'm wrong to bump):

I request a shortcut key for pasting in front and behind with shortcut keys.

Example:

CTRL + F = paste front

CTRL + B = paste back

keeping "CTRL + B" of different with "CTRL + B" of [paste back]. As font weight toggle when a selection has text and paste back when selection isn't related to text. Perhaps a different shortcut key altogether to avoid problems like pasting text behind a text where both input applies.

Jaydonteh

You can set shortcut keys for insert > inside / front / behind from the Keyboard Shortcut options in Preferences.

You'll find them under Draw > Layers > Insert

Having set the mode, you just Ctrl + V to paste and it will follow the rule you chose.

Win10 Home x64   |   AMD Ryzen 7 2700X @ 3.7GHz   |   48 GB RAM   |   1TB SSD   |   nVidia GTX 1660   |   Wacom Intuos Pro

Aammppaa

Thanks! Its obvious I haven't fiddle that far into AD.

I can't see the advantage of making the front/back/inside pasting a 2 step process when I could just set them to a key that does insertion front/back/inside and paste at the same time like in AI. AD method intuitive? I don't think so :huh:

Perhaps this affects the default shortcut key of the text font weight: BOLD/normal toggle. If this would be to implement they would have to turn that off by default, and potentially even the shortcut key for the underline and italic toggles off by default. I use this feature very often on my artworks, perhaps even way more than the text shortcut keys. This is just my opinion though, I guess some users would find the text shortcut keys more valuable than my suggested shortcut keys.

@jaydonteh: Have to agree that the 2 steps are a little frustrating.

I would like to make a feature request that the Insert option is 'sticky'.

Once you've chosen to Insert > Behind (for example), I think that should be the default, until you chose to change the behaviour.

This could be and alternative mode, so that left clicking the button works as now, the next operation in inserted at front / behind / inside. BUT if you Alt + click the button, then all future inserts follow the selected rule, until the user explicitly chooses to to otherwise.

(Don't know if devs will find this buried in an existing thread - perhaps I need to make a new post?)

Win10 Home x64   |   AMD Ryzen 7 2700X @ 3.7GHz   |   48 GB RAM   |   1TB SSD   |   nVidia GTX 1660   |   Wacom Intuos Pro