You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Background for text

17 hours ago, Dan C said:

Equally, it appears as though this is a copyrighted design from the below link, I would assume you have paid the correct licensing fees to edit or replicate this design before proceeding.

https://www.misskatecuttables.com/products/halloween/scary-title-2.php

Ummmm…. Just curious. 1.) why did you think this was something to look up as a copyright infringement? And 2.) while the question being asked is clearly someone that doesn’t know what they are doing, sometimes we need to step out of our professional shell to either help or avoid a thread… just saying as I am blown away that you took time to seek this crap out.

12 hours ago, Alfred said:

Is the attached close to what you’re aiming for? :/

10 hours ago, Josie said:

Yes

Either there’s something wrong with the downloads counter or you haven’t actually looked at my file! I suspect the latter, since you say

10 hours ago, Josie said:

I’m trying to get the background as close to the letters as possible

but your “finished look” file still doesn’t have a black stroke applied to the letters. If you bother to inspect the drawing I produced for you, you’ll see that instead of the letters looking like this

6B334C11-9C49-4AEB-91FE-19ECF405AB5B.jpeg.937cebb68e94c8bb20c8e9d2b48b2e62.jpeg

they look like this

19C6549F-24E2-4864-B54F-0EEA0CD524E0.jpeg.694a0d20e39be33354db2211f754ff34.jpeg

That gives you the beginnings of the desired black background “as close to the letters as possible” and then all you need to do is create a black shape with the Pen Tool to fill in the gaps:

D39AA0DE-B007-4505-824A-0C9BE18AED03.jpeg.4cc5a9c2471ac3ea9f9d69f4f62b9fbe.jpeg

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

• Staff

Thank you @Alfred for all your help & support here (and in similar threads), it's certainly appreciated!

7 hours ago, 3DJ said:

Ummmm…. Just curious. 1.) why did you think this was something to look up as a copyright infringement? And 2.) while the question being asked is clearly someone that doesn’t know what they are doing, sometimes we need to step out of our professional shell to either help or avoid a thread… just saying as I am blown away that you took time to seek this crap out.

This post was reported to our moderation team as being a copyrighted image, and therefore I added this caveat to the thread.

We understand that users will occasionally need to show artwork that is not their own in order to get a point across - we have no issue with this provided that A) the original artist is credited and B) the Affinity user is not editing/replicating the design, therefore infringing the copyright of the image.

Please note -

I am currently out of the office for a short while whilst recovering from surgery (nothing serious!), therefore will not be available on the Forums during this time.

Should you require a response from the team in a thread I have previously replied in - please Create a New Thread and our team will be sure to reply as soon as possible.

Many thanks!

• Staff

Thanks for the clarification Joise, I certainly understand - I was simply explaining this for 3DJ :)

Please note -

I am currently out of the office for a short while whilst recovering from surgery (nothing serious!), therefore will not be available on the Forums during this time.

Should you require a response from the team in a thread I have previously replied in - please Create a New Thread and our team will be sure to reply as soon as possible.

Many thanks!

4 hours ago, Dan C said:

Thank you @Alfred for all your help & support here (and in similar threads), it's certainly appreciated!

This post was reported to our moderation team as being a copyrighted image, and therefore I added this caveat to the thread.

We understand that users will occasionally need to show artwork that is not their own in order to get a point across - we have no issue with this provided that A) the original artist is credited and B) the Affinity user is not editing/replicating the design, therefore infringing the copyright of the image.

I see. Thanks for the follow up.

21 minutes ago, Josie said:

How is this?

I added the stroke and this is how it turned out.

Untitled.afdesign 57.09 kB · 7 downloads

Thats looking great! One tip, when sending this to others, they may not have the same font as you are using, so best practices is to send a copy that you convert the type to curves. It’s under the Layer menu or if on iPad its under the top drop down menu. 

50 minutes ago, Josie said:

What do you guys think? Any more I can do to make it better?

halloweendesign2.afdesign 60.25 kB · 3 downloads

Your “finished look” file appeared more joined up, but at least you now have an even stroke around each letter.

38 minutes ago, 3DJ said:

See my screen shot, this is what your design looks like without your fonts installed on my system.

I didn’t have that font either, but it’s 100% free:

https://www.dafont.com/moon-get.font

Alfred spacer.png

35 minutes ago, Alfred said:

Your “finished look” file appeared more joined up, but at least you now have an even stroke around each letter.

I didn’t have that font either, but it’s 100% free:

https://www.dafont.com/moon-get.font

Sure, but I’m trying to teach best practices here… I’m not going out of my way to find a font Ill never use. 

39 minutes ago, Josie said:

This is what I have so far.

Untitled.afdesign 62.35 kB · 1 download

5 minutes ago, Josie said:

I have another example before I use it as my own design tell me what you think.

thanks

Untitled.afdesign 61.08 kB · 0 downloads

I see you’ve gone back to the old ‘Untitled’ thing. This is quickly going to get very confusing for all concerned! :(

Alfred spacer.png

13 minutes ago, Josie said:

tell me what you think

I see you’ve changed the font but it’s still nowhere near as joined up as your “finished look” version. What font did you use this time, by the way?

Alfred spacer.png

42 minutes ago, Alfred said:

I see you’ve changed the font but it’s still nowhere near as joined up as your “finished look” version. What font did you use this time, by the way?

Josie,

This is why I suggested you convert your type to curves? Does this make sense to you now?