You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Pressing 'space bar' then click & drag for 'movement', NOT working. Help?

Hello again friends! I was dong a beginner tutorial, and the following seems like a real good trick, but it doesn't work for me. Here I am using the 'inpainting brush tool'. Then when I press and hold the space bar the view tool comes on, but the click and drag part to move the picture around, doesn't work! It just stays still. What am I doing wrong? Here is the tutorial vid at the spot where I am having the trouble.   

Help?

1 hour ago, cutout3 said:

Then when I press and hold the space bar the view tool comes on, but the click and drag part to move the picture around, doesn't work! It just stays still. What am I doing wrong? Here is the tutorial vid at the spot where I am having the trouble. 

Perhaps I'm confused, but it looked to me like it worked just fine.

Edit: No, just me making a silly error in who created the tutorial video. Sorry.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

25 minutes ago, walt.farrell said:

Perhaps I'm confused, but it looked to me like it worked just fine.

Wow. OK. I tried it again, still doesn't work. The only way I can get the cursor to move on the image, or the image to move, is if I manually click on the 'view tool' in the tools panel. Or I can scroll around on the Navigator pic of course. 

I checked Windows shortcuts, nothing there to help. Perhaps there is something wrong with my laptop (HP) scroll-pad or whatever that built in mouse pad is called? But I've never noticed a problem in any other way, with it. My scroll pad on my laptop seems to work and function as it should.

4 minutes ago, cutout3 said:

Perhaps there is something wrong with my laptop (HP) scroll-pad or whatever that built in mouse pad is called? But I've never noticed a problem in any other way, with it. My scroll pad on my laptop seems to work and function as it should.

Oh, this is going to drive me mad. I am certain I recently read about this problem being known. Could you try with a mouse?

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.1 | Affinity Photo 2.4.1 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.1 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

13 minutes ago, cutout3 said:

I tried it again, still doesn't work.

So you're saying it worked when you recorded the video, but isn't working now?

Edit: Or am I being silly and thinking you were saying you were the creator of the video rather than someone who is trying to follow it?

-- Walt
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.

And thanks for mentioning using a scrollpad.

Your scenario works fine for me with either my mouse or my laptop's trackpad. But I do have to press in the center area of the trackpad. If I press outside the center area it doesn't work.

-- Walt
PC:

5 minutes ago, walt.farrell said:

So you're saying it worked when you recorded the video, but isn't working now?

Edit: Or am I being silly and thinking you were saying you were the creator of the video rather than someone who is trying to follow it?

No I am not the creator of the video.

Just now, cutout3 said:

No I am not the creator of the video.

Sorry for my misunderstanding, then :)

-- Walt
PC:

15 minutes ago, Old Bruce said:

Oh, this is going to drive me mad. I am certain I recently read about this problem being known. Could you try with a mouse?

I have hope that you can find the article of post about this possible problem. How could I help you search that? What would be a good search word/phrase?

And no, I do not currently have a mouse that I can plug in to try and troubleshoot. Don't know a friend who might have one. Retired now so going to work (have them there) is not an option. Might have to go to a computer store. In meantime, I'll wait for your advice. Thx.

11 minutes ago, walt.farrell said:

And thanks for mentioning using a scrollpad.

Your scenario works fine for me with either my mouse or my laptop's trackpad. But I do have to press in the center area of the trackpad. If I press outside the center area it doesn't work.

Trackpad, that's what it's called! So it still doesn't work on mine. I press and hold the space bar, then press in center (all over) of the track pad and glide, and still nothing moves! Ghrr. Tried one finger, two finger, three finger glides, nothing.

Happy that yours works. Must be something simple that I'm not doing or isn't set up right.

3 hours ago, Old Bruce said:

OB, still hoping you can help me out, but if not that's OK too. Don't worry too much about it. I checked my touchpad/trackpad "settings/devices/touchpad" and changed the setting to 'most sensitive'. Didn't help at all but it was a good try I thought.

I got a work-around that I think works just as well, maybe. Let's say I've got the paint brush or inpainting brush tool (doesn't matter, anything other than the view tool). I Just click the shortcut "H" for view tool, make my movement where I want to go, then hit "H" again. When you hit "H again it takes you back to your last tool position, in this example the paint or inpainting brush. All pretty simple. And the "H" key is very easy to hit.

I like learning about shortcuts.

• Staff

Hi @cutout3,

Sorry to hear you're having trouble!

I can confirm that this is a known, previously reported bug within Affinity - unfortunately Fixx said it best here:

3 hours ago, Fixx said:

Trackpad behaviours may vary

As we have found this functionality works on the majority of Windows laptops - however there are a few instances (some Lenovo & Toshiba devices, but also others) where this simply isn't compatible with the trackpad drivers.

I can confirm this issue is logged with our developers, and I'll be sure to 'bump' this report now for you - in the meantime using the (H) shortcut for the Pan tool certainly sounds like a good option. I hope this clears things up :)

Please note -

I am currently out of the office for a short while whilst recovering from surgery (nothing serious!), therefore will not be available on the Forums during this time.

Should you require a response from the team in a thread I have previously replied in - please Create a New Thread and our team will be sure to reply as soon as possible.

Many thanks!

On 9/18/2021 at 5:53 AM, Dan C said:

Hi @cutout3,

Sorry to hear you're having trouble!

I can confirm that this is a known, previously reported bug within Affinity - unfortunately Fixx said it best here:

As we have found this functionality works on the majority of Windows laptops - however there are a few instances (some Lenovo & Toshiba devices, but also others) where this simply isn't compatible with the trackpad drivers.

I can confirm this issue is logged with our developers, and I'll be sure to 'bump' this report now for you - in the meantime using the (H) shortcut for the Pan tool certainly sounds like a good option. I hope this clears things up :)

Thank you so much for your response Dan C! I am happy now to know that you guys and the developers are aware of the problem and that it may still be one (in my case). Yes I would like it to work but the "H" shortcut works pretty well and is a good interim fix for me.

My device is an HP (Hewlett Packard Envy 13", maybe 4 years old, btw if that helps). Thanks again for letting me know.

10 hours ago, Fixx said:

Trackpad behaviours may vary, I have to do double tap to activate "clic and drag". But that kind of behaviours are systemwide anyway.

Double, triple tapping, (everything except hammer and duck tape), still nothing. I guess it is a glitch/bug with some touchpads, mine being one of them. Thx for your help!