You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

HELP! Printing PDF Designs - GREY PRINTING BROWN?!

Hi!! So I’m currently stressing myself out. I have 2 canon Pixma pro-100s printers. I run a stationery business so I sell business cards etc. I design ALL my customers items in affinity on my iPad as I’ve never got on with photoshop! However I’m noticing that when I print out my cards, grey is showing up as brown - however when doing a print check, this isn’t an issue with the printer as the grey is printing fine. So I’ve read up a little and wonder whether this is an issue with the way I’m saving my items for print or an issue with colour management between the 2 devices. I only started a year ago and am completely self taught so I have no idea how I’m suppose to save things to ensure the best print quality and colour accuracy! If anybody prints anything similar from affinity and has any sort of insight as to the best way I should be saving/designing! Please let me know! I’m so stuck and google isn’t helping😬🙈

9 minutes ago, DeafLake said:

Have you check the printer's advanced settings for color printing? you could manually adjust the ICC profile there.

Hi! Lots of people are saying it must be to do with the ICC profile. However i have absolutely no idea anything about ICC profiles. Ive never heard of them until today aha so I’m not sure what to do from here or where to go to find out all the information i need in order to fix the issue

24 minutes ago, DeafLake said:

Maybe this would help you :

Thank you!! This definitely did help me understand. However as I’m using affinity I’m not sure how to do the same thing when printing my PDF’s on my windows laptop. Also unsure of what my paper profile would be as i use Mondi Color Copy paper.

2 hours ago, Bobbi Ivy said:

However as I’m using affinity I’m not sure how to do the same thing when printing my PDF’s on my windows laptop.

You may find posting in the Affinity for Windows thread offers more detailed help. I can show you how to select different icc on export screen but it is for iPad if that helps  (I don’t know what windows export screen looks like).

96BEA9F8-0B86-4525-8C24-D46041A85431.jpeg

M1 IPad Air 10.9/256GB   lpadOS 17.1.1 Apple Pencil (2nd gen).
Affinity Photo 1.10.5 Affinity Design 1.10.5 
Affinity Publisher 2, Affinity Designer 2, Affinity Photo 2 and betas.

Official Online iPad Help documents (multi-lingual) here: https://affinity.https://affinity.help/ 

3 minutes ago, DM1 said:

You may find posting in the Affinity for Windows thread offers more detailed help. I can show you how to select different icc on export screen but it is for iPad if that helps  (I don’t know what windows export screen looks like).

96BEA9F8-0B86-4525-8C24-D46041A85431.jpeg

Hi!! I am using an iPad this is the issue, so basically I design all my content on my iPad then export the PDF and save it to my Dropbox account, i then print using Adobe acrobat. So I’m just not sure what to do to ensure the profiles match up etc 

4 hours ago, Bobbi Ivy said:

i then print using Adobe acrobat.

Why not simply print from iPad?

Maybe do some test files,  Grey rectangle, and export with each different icc (dropdown menu in pic above), then print from Adobe and see whether one gives correct grey result. 🙂

M1 IPad Air 10.9/256GB   lpadOS 17.1.1 Apple Pencil (2nd gen).
Affinity Photo 1.10.5 Affinity Design 1.10.5 
Affinity Publisher 2, Affinity Designer 2, Affinity Photo 2 and betas.

Official Online iPad Help documents (multi-lingual) here: https://affinity.https://affinity.help/ 

4 hours ago, DM1 said:

Why not simply print from iPad?

Maybe do some test files,  Grey rectangle, and export with each different icc (dropdown menu in pic above), then print from Adobe and see whether one gives correct grey result. 🙂

So I wasn’t aware I was able to print from iPad honestly, but my printers are set up using USB to my laptop so they don’t lose connection due to wifi

• Staff

Hi @Bobbi Ivy,

Sorry to hear you're having trouble!

Having looked into this, it appears you need to install the Canon Pixma Pro-100s driver in order to have access to the printers ICC profiles. This means that the profiles should be available on your desktop where you are printing the file from, but won't be installed on your iPad.

Can you please confirm for me, do you have access to Affinity on your laptop also, or are you only using the iPad version of the app? :)

Please note -

I am currently out of the office for a short while whilst recovering from surgery (nothing serious!), therefore will not be available on the Forums during this time.

Should you require a response from the team in a thread I have previously replied in - please Create a New Thread and our team will be sure to reply as soon as possible.

Many thanks!

3 minutes ago, Dan C said:

Hi @Bobbi Ivy,

Sorry to hear you're having trouble!

Having looked into this, it appears you need to install the Canon Pixma Pro-100s driver in order to have access to the printers ICC profiles. This means that the profiles should be available on your desktop where you are printing the file from, but won't be installed on your iPad.

Can you please confirm for me, do you have access to Affinity on your laptop also, or are you only using the iPad version of the app? :)

Hi! I do have the drivers installed just not sure where I access the ICC profiles or how they work. I am only using the iPad version and do not have it on my laptop

• Staff

Thanks for confirming that for me!

On your laptop, please open Windows Run (Windows Key + R) then paste the following string and press OK:

C:\Windows\System32\spool\drivers\color

In the window that opens, you should find a list of all your installed ICC profiles on your laptop. Do the Canon profiles appear in this list please? :)

Please note -

I am currently out of the office for a short while whilst recovering from surgery (nothing serious!), therefore will not be available on the Forums during this time.

Should you require a response from the team in a thread I have previously replied in - please Create a New Thread and our team will be sure to reply as soon as possible.

Many thanks!