You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Is there a way to do this in Affinity Designer?

@SuperUserIt is doable but requires more manual work.

I drew the design I wanted, in this case I used a grid of 0.15".

Then with the pie tool I made a wedge that was 30 degrees (360 / number of segments, 12 in this case).  Start angle 75 degrees and End angle 105 degrees.

The wedge was resized, keeping the ratio the same, until the arc was the width as that of the bottom bar (node to node using a Butt Cap on the lines and a Miter of 2).

Then in the move tool I did a cmd + J with the wedge selected.  Holding cmd + shift I drug the top handle until the corners were the height of the next grid line.  cmd + J then a tweak as needed to keep the to keep the corners on each grid line.  Until I had 8 wedges all with the same point.

Then using the node tool I moved nodes of the original design so that all vertical lines were parallel with the walls of the wedge.  Then bow the horizontal lines so that they are all parallel with the rounded end of the wedges.  The top horizontal lines are easier than the bottom because they are centered in the wedge.  The lower ones (except on the bottom line) the right node will have to be raised to keep the line parallel with the curve of the wedge.

Group the lines making up the final segment.  In the Move tool turn on the Enable Transform Origin and drag the center until it snaps to the point of the wedges.

Then using the Power Duplicate (cmd + J) make a duplicate.  In the transform panel put in a -30 degree rotation. The 10 more Power Duplicates and it will be done.

I did this fairly quickly, so it could be done better.  But it gives an idea of a way to accomplish that task.

1423214639_ScreenShot2021-09-16at12_01_01PM.png.339332619d06c5676b65370a5ea860fc.png

Test 1.afdesign

iMac (27-inch, Late 2009) with macOS Sierra

@SuperUserGlad it helped.  Have fun.  Sometimes I like doing things the hard way instead of having the software do all the work.  I look to AD as being a tool box that will let me do whatever I want.  Instead of wanting it to do all the work.  But that could be because I am using it as a hobby instead of having to get the finished item done, NOW for business.

iMac (27-inch, Late 2009) with macOS Sierra

I saw this as an interesting challenge so thought I’d give it a go and came up my attached image.
All done in Designer with Symbols, Donuts, Pies, and Ellipses.
It’s not the same as the original example, and it’s still a bit ‘raggedy’ in places where the geometry isn’t quite right for some reason, but I think it’s a decent first try.

Note: I should have mentioned that this will rasterise upon export because I have used Erase Blend Modes in various places.

Screenshot 2021-09-17 131532.png

pattern in the round 2 bw.afdesign

Edited by GarryP
Added extra note.

Just seen this and wondered how easy it would be to do between Affinity and VectorStyler (which I use as an Affinity 'gap plug' companion app)= super easy + = all vector :

Daz1.png

Mac Pro Cheese-grater (Early 2009) 2.93 GHz 6-Core Intel Xeon 48 GB 1333 MHz DDR3 ECC Ram, Sapphire Pulse Radeon RX 580 8GB GDDR5, Ugee 19" Graphics Tablet Monitor Triple boot via OCLP 1.2.1 - Mac OS Monterey 12.7.1, Sonoma 14.1.1 and Mojave 10.14.6

Affinity Publisher, Designer and Photo 1.10.5 - 2.2.1

www.bingercreative.co.uk

39 minutes ago, Dazmondo77 said:

between Affinity and VectorStyler

VectorStyler is amazing, these guys get fixes and feature requests delivered in a snap. It gets better and better also in delivering all the good stuff in PDF etc. in production quality, and ability to transfer vector data via Clipboard to other apps like Affinity is a definite bonus. 

On 9/17/2021 at 6:57 PM, Lagarto said:

these guys get fixes and feature requests delivered in a snap.

I read that it was just one guy who developed  VS - a bit hard to believe?

Yes it is a great app - the non-destructive vector warps are AMAZING - just recently worked on some EP artwork that needed the song title to look like it's on a wrinkled T-shirt - VS did a great job, super snappy, distorting the song title then copy pasting back into Affinity to finish, the great thing is that the guys that put the tracks together decided to record another EP and wanted the same artwork but with a different song title, I just copy pasted the different song title into previous VS doc and pasted into the layer that had the vector distortions, and the new text just wrapped to the distortions, you can even move it around in real time and it wraps to the shirt folds, then when happy with the look, just copy paste back into the Affinity doc --- all vector ---- ACE! 

Daz1.png

Mac Pro Cheese-grater (Early 2009) 2.93 GHz 6-Core Intel Xeon 48 GB 1333 MHz DDR3 ECC Ram, Sapphire Pulse Radeon RX 580 8GB GDDR5, Ugee 19" Graphics Tablet Monitor Triple boot via OCLP 1.2.1 - Mac OS Monterey 12.7.1, Sonoma 14.1.1 and Mojave 10.14.6

Affinity Publisher, Designer and Photo 1.10.5 - 2.2.1

www.bingercreative.co.uk