You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Crash and brushes disappear

evtonic3

It is often the case on the desktop (and possibly on iPad) that changes made to the Affinity applications (Preferences, or addition of Assets, Brushes, etc.) are not saved unless the application is closed successfully after the change is made.

So, if you add some brushes, and then the application crashes before you have closed it successfully, I would not be surprised if the brushes disappear.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

On 9/16/2021 at 1:32 PM, walt.farrell said:

It is often the case on the desktop (and possibly on iPad) that changes made to the Affinity applications (Preferences, or addition of Assets, Brushes, etc.) are not saved unless the application is closed successfully after the change is made.

So, if you add some brushes, and then the application crashes before you have closed it successfully, I would not be surprised if the brushes disappear.

Yes I got happy and went too far and my library of brushes disappeared. Back to stock. I will close out of the app from time to time next time I decide I want to put the effort of adding brushes AGAIN. Multi-select importing like on desktop would be so welcome here.

• 1 month later...
  • Staff

Hey evtonic3,

I am aware of an issue with brushes disappearing if installed via My Account but not from an iCloud folder. I've just tried to reproduce this but I can't.

How easily can you reproduce this crash? For example, can you install the affected pack, make the app crash (try resizing the document to huge dimensions/dpi) and see if the pack vanishes. If it does, can you tell me and or send me the brush pack (I can make you a private folder) so I can try and reproduce it?

It's odd that it's only a particular set and not all...

I don't believe it has anything to do with a certain pack. When all was fine, I had Frankentoon, Retrosupply, True Grit Supply, DAUB, as the main ones, plus all the ones I have purchased through the app, and others from Gumroad. The crashes seem to occur while doing virtually nothing out of the ordinary, maybe switching tools, or moving a layer to different place, I wish I could remember what happened the last time, but it was so insignificant what I did that is what I can't explain it. I will say that I am a brushes addict!  and I tend to just pile on and pile on the brushes. Like I have all the Retrosupply, all Frankentoon, all DAUB, almost all TrueGrit, so many more from the app. 

2 minutes ago, evtonic3 said:

The crashes seem to occur while doing virtually nothing out of the ordinary, maybe switching tools, or moving a layer to different place, I wish I could remember what happened the last time, but it was so insignificant what I did that is what I can't explain it.

Going back to an earlier part of the discussion, have you installed brush packs during the current application session? And is it just those packs you're losing? I would expect to lose them on the desktop if I did not close the application after installing, given the way that the Affinity applications work on the desktop. But I don't know how they work on the iPad. (And, for that matter, I'm not sure how I would go about "closing" the application on the iPad. I haven't figured out that process, yet.)

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

Added note: the brushes were all for my desktop that I since have installed on my iPad Air 4th gen. This may not matter but thought well I wonder if the brushes being that they're a little different in that the desktop version may have some sub brushes or something else that the iPad version cannot handle? just a thought

oh and they all come from iCloud account storage.

4 minutes ago, walt.farrell said:

Going back to an earlier part of the discussion, have you installed brush packs during the current application session? And is it just those packs you're losing? I would expect to lose them on the desktop if I did not close the application after installing, given the way that the Affinity applications work on the desktop. But I don't know how they work on the iPad. (And, for that matter, I'm not sure how I would go about "closing" the application on the iPad. I haven't figured out that process, yet.)

I lose all that I install from my iCloud account. The through the app purchases stay.

I noticed in my original post I had a slightly different explanation of the issue, but most certainly recently now I am losing all the installed brushes after a crash. The original post I posted I said that some brushes were staying installed after a crash.