You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Forum dark theme

The forum system that Serif has chosen to use seems to support dark themes, but I don't think that Serif has installed or activated any.

If you use Firefox there are extensions available that say they can implement dark mode for sites that don't support it, so you might consider one of them. I have not tried any of them so I can't say how well they work, nor do I know if they are available in other browsers.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

• 9 months later...

..So, I`ve just also installed The Firefox add-on Dark Reader.

I understand that Invision probably has limitations obstructing this forum from offering a proper dark theme. As customer I would have been happy with a short statement from Serif that acknowledges the problem, specifies the roadblock (Invision?) ,points at the workaround and assures that action will be taken as soon as possible . This request being  ignored whilst my eyes hurt reading the forum does not invoke positive feelings towards Serif...

37 minutes ago, Spidermarc said:

This request being  ignored

Given that the above "question" about dark themes is not placed in the request forum, it can hardly be understood as a request that Serif should somehow address. Despite the fact that Serif does not comment on requests in principle, so the expectation of their response may not be successful.

Affinity Store (MSI/EXE): Affinity Suite (ADe, APh, APu) 2.4.0.2301
Dell OptiPlex 7060, i5-8500 3.00 GHz, 16 GB, Intel UHD Graphics 630, Dell P2417H 1920 x 1080, Windows 11 Pro, Version 23H2, Build 22631.3155.
Dell Latitude E5570, i5-6440HQ 2.60 GHz, 8 GB, Intel HD Graphics 530, 1920 x 1080, Windows 11 Pro, Version 23H2, Build 22631.3155.
Intel NUC5PGYH, Pentium N3700 2.40 GHz, 8 GB, Intel HD Graphics, EIZO EV2456 1920 x 1200, Windows 10 Pro, Version 21H1, Build 19043.2130.

44 minutes ago, Spidermarc said:

As customer I would have been happy with a short statement from Serif that acknowledges the problem, specifies the roadblock (Invision?) ,points at the workaround and assures that action will be taken as soon as possible .

That seems like you expect Serif to know what you want prior to any such feature request, and since they do not, you expect an apology from them?

How about doing a little reading before hand. Serif has clearly described each forum's usage.

https://forum.affinity.serif.com/index.php?/forum/3-affinity-support/

Affinity Photo 2.4..; Affinity Designer 2.4..; Affinity Publisher 2.4..; Affinity2 Beta versions. Affinity Photo,Designer 1.10.6.1605 Win10 Home Version:21H2, Build: 19044.1766: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-5820K CPU @ 3.30GHz, 3301 Mhz, 6 Core(s), 12 Logical Processor(s);32GB Ram, Nvidia GTX 3070, 3-Internal HDD (1 Crucial MX5000 1TB, 1-Crucial MX5000 500GB, 1-WD 1 TB), 4 External HDD

• Staff
3 hours ago, Spidermarc said:

As customer I would have been happy with a short statement from Serif that acknowledges the problem, specifies the roadblock (Invision?) ,points at the workaround and assures that action will be taken as soon as possible . This request being  ignored whilst my eyes hurt reading the forum does not invoke positive feelings towards Serif

I'm sorry to hear you feel this way @Spidermarc, as confirmed above the Affinity team do not tend to respond to 'feature request' posts here on the forums.

A workaround was suggested to the OP, and this is still the only recommended way of viewing the Affinity forums in a 'dark theme'.

I don't believe we currently have any plans to implement a native dark mode for the Affinity Forums, though I will be sure to pass your request through to our web team here.

Please note -

I am currently out of the office for a short while whilst recovering from surgery (nothing serious!), therefore will not be available on the Forums during this time.

Should you require a response from the team in a thread I have previously replied in - please Create a New Thread and our team will be sure to reply as soon as possible.

Many thanks!

• 7 months later...
On 7/1/2022 at 12:38 PM, Dan C said:

I'm sorry to hear you feel this way @Spidermarc, as confirmed above the Affinity team do not tend to respond to 'feature request' posts here on the forums.

A workaround was suggested to the OP, and this is still the only recommended way of viewing the Affinity forums in a 'dark theme'.

I don't believe we currently have any plans to implement a native dark mode for the Affinity Forums, though I will be sure to pass your request through to our web team here.

That is all well and good, except… the suggestion made here (using Dark Reader) did work, and all of a sudden (and after years of working fine, mind you), stopped working.

The fact that you offer a suite of apps that supports dark and light UI modes, and almost anything in between (-ish, but the range, while not including neutral grey as your competitors do, is indeed impressive), and don't offer the same courtesy in the user forums (when the platform you're using apparently supports it!) is beyond me and tells me two things: that a) you don't get why dark themes are an important for usability in the first place and/or b) your left hand doesn't know what the right hand is doing.

At this point, in AD 2023 (even LOo caved in and finally offered a dark themed version of LibreOffice!), I consider this a bug on top of a bad decision overall, not a simple oversight, and our comments not as a “feature request”, but as a collective “bug report”. And this will be more meta yet: there are no threads for giving feedback on issues with Affinity's main website, its online store or the forum itself, so… where else are we supposed to report issues with these? Twitter? Facebook?

• Staff

I'm sorry to hear Dark Reader has stopped working for you @JGD,

17 hours ago, JGD said:

The fact that you offer a suite of apps that supports dark and light UI modes, and almost anything in between (-ish, but the range, while not including neutral grey as your competitors do, is indeed impressive), and don't offer the same courtesy in the user forums (when the platform you're using apparently supports it!) is beyond me

The Affinity application developers are a separate team from our web developers who deal with the Affinity site, Store and Forums, so although I do understand where you are coming from here, it is not exactly an apples-to-apples comparison between the app and the forums.

I will be sure to raise this with our team once again internally for further consideration.

17 hours ago, JGD said:

And this will be more meta yet: there are no threads for giving feedback on issues with Affinity's main website, its online store or the forum itself, so… where else are we supposed to report issues with these? Twitter? Facebook?

This has been raised previously on the forums (unfortunately I'm unable to find the exact thread currently) but our team determined the Feedback & Suggestions forum was the ideal place for these.
If you find a bug that stops you from being able to use the Forums or Affinity Website (for example the site will not load in a certain browser), then these can go in the Questions section for our team to investigate and action ASAP.

Please note -

I am currently out of the office for a short while whilst recovering from surgery (nothing serious!), therefore will not be available on the Forums during this time.

Should you require a response from the team in a thread I have previously replied in - please Create a New Thread and our team will be sure to reply as soon as possible.

Many thanks!

On 2/21/2023 at 5:48 PM, Dan C said:

The Affinity application developers are a separate team from our web developers who deal with the Affinity site, Store and Forums, so although I do understand where you are coming from here, it is not exactly an apples-to-apples comparison between the app and the forums.

I will be sure to raise this with our team once again internally for further consideration.

Thank you for your swift feedback!

This has been raised previously on the forums (unfortunately I'm unable to find the exact thread currently) but our team determined the Feedback & Suggestions forum was the ideal place for these.
If you find a bug that stops you from being able to use the Forums or Affinity Website (for example the site will not load in a certain browser), then these can go in the Questions section for our team to investigate and action ASAP.

If you find it, or open a new venue for that, that would be great. I don't recall us frequently having issues with the forum itself, but it may happen, so having it would. be nice.

Also, while this bug/decision doesn't exactly stop me from using the Forums, for some users with special needs it may be more of an issue.

• 1 month later...

Well, it seems my issue with Dark Reader has been solved (likely on your end?).

• Staff

We haven't (to my knowledge) made any changes on our end recently, but I'm certainly glad to hear this :D

Please note -

Many thanks!

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/4/2023 at 4:00 PM, Dan C said:

We haven't (to my knowledge) made any changes on our end recently, but I'm certainly glad to hear this :D

Whoops, spoke too soon. It doesn't work on my MacBookPro9,2 (Mid 2012) running Ventura under OpenCore Legacy Patcher. It seems that it works for a split second, and then goes back to not working.