You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Hi. 

I'm having a huge performance issue with Photo on M1 MacBook Pro. 

After few hours working with the app, its ressource consumption goes berserk on a file that is suppose to be easily manageable for M1 MacBook Pro and for Photo. 

I need to rebook the app to get it to normal. 

I think it might be related to the higher resolution of my >100mpx images? 

Thank you in advance for your help. 

Screenshot 2021-09-15 at 18.24.56.png

Screenshot 2021-09-15 at 18.24.47.png

• Staff

Hi Noxdiurna,

Please could you provide a copy of the file in question and is possible list the exact steps of your workflow with this file? Could you also tell me if this happens with all files or just this one? If you go into the apps preferences under performance what are the Ram usage and Undo limit sliders set to?

Thanks
C

Please tag me using @ in your reply so I can be sure to respond ASAP.

Hi.

It's quite frequent. Basically I work on one for two files open and after few hours of work, it just slows down for no visible reason. I see that this happens quite often especially when I use heal tool on low frequency separation layer.

Here is a typical file that I work with.

My Mac is MacBook Pro M1 16GB and 1T HDD.

3.afphoto

• 2 weeks later...

Affinity Publisher 1.10.1 / macOS Big Sur 11.6

Was working on a simple design last night for a landscape business card, very low-complexity photo (Affinity Photo file) in background 90x55 mm (plus 3 mm bleed) 300ppi – had the fans blowing a gale on my machine. Ridiculous. Metal is engaged, etc. Could Affinity remind me of best preference settings again? I believe what I have is the best I can get.

Turned image layer off, waiting a few seconds, and fans died down. Later, turn on image layer again, and fans are blowing.

My machine specs are in my signature.

764340209_ScreenShot2021-10-07at7_16_16PM.thumb.png.cb782ad94447398a18b37af1b8fc7e04.png

iMac Pro (2017) Processor: 3GHz 10-Core Intel Xeon W / Memory: 64 GB 2666 MHz DDR4 / Graphics: Radeon Pro Vega 64 16 GB | iPad Pro: 12.9 inch 2nd Gen

10 hours ago, deeland said:

Was working on a simple design last night for a landscape business card, very low-complexity photo (Affinity Photo file) in background 90x55 mm (plus 3 mm bleed) 300ppi – had the fans blowing a gale on my machine.

Are there any effects, live filers, or adjustments applied to the image layer? If there are many of them, this could explain why your Mac Pro's GPU is working hard enough to render the view with them applied to heat up enough to cause the fans to spin up.

If this is what is causing that, I think the fans should spin back down if for 10-30 seconds you don't change anything that would cause the view to be re-rendered.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7