You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Affinity Publisher Data merge - Missing Resources but not missing

Hello,

I have now finished our new and fully modular Product Catalogue. It works with an Excel sheet that has every Information needed. Sadly Publisher can´t recognize an empty field. It is very bad, when you have a Listing. But you can also use another Method.

But anyway. Here is my "Problem":

In the Document that has the Data merge active there are no Errors. When I let Publisher create the whole thing it works but the Checklist gives me a huge List of "missing resource" errors. When I check the "manage resources" there are no Problems.

Funny thing is, that the "missing resource" is there and Publisher can even open the file (there are all afphoto files). When I export the Catalogue to PDF it will warn be about the missing resources but when I ignore it and export it and check, everything is there and nothing is missing.

Question:
Has Publisher Problems to check for the resources? I mean the whole Excel sheet has, if fully loaded, 2350 Datas that needs to be read. Most of them are Text but 250 are Pictures (most of them 4k or 8k and in afphoto).

Maybe there should be a longer delay to check if everything is there because this "Error" is simply not one. 

If I understand correctly you have 250 pictures. Do you have a picture for each item in the catalog? If there are items with no picture in the Excel spreadsheet is that field empty, I mean are there no spaces or anything at all in the Excel cell?

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.0 | Affinity Photo 2.4.0 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.0 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

14 hours ago, Old Bruce said:

If there are items with no picture in the Excel spreadsheet is that field empty, I mean are there no spaces or anything at all in the Excel cell?

Yes you do understand me correctly. When the picture field is empty it will return a "0" in the Cell. But When I click on the missing Resource it points me to existing Pictures. 

45 minutes ago, anto said:

Strange. I leaved two fields empty - first one emply, second - with spaces. It works for me. Maybe problem creates coding of CSV file or pathes to files.

Yeah that is stange. The File is an Excel sheet not a csv File. The Pathes are all valid Widnows 10 Pathes. The "old" ones have pathes like "\\nas\folder\product\file.afphoto" and the new ones "J:\Folder\product\file.afphoto

But hey when the Export works I´m happy. Maybe this will be fixed in some later Patch.

• Staff
20 hours ago, Garden-User said:

In the Document that has the Data merge active there are no Errors. When I let Publisher create the whole thing it works but the Checklist gives me a huge List of "missing resource" errors. When I check the "manage resources" there are no Problems.

Funny thing is, that the "missing resource" is there and Publisher can even open the file (there are all afphoto files). When I export the Catalogue to PDF it will warn be about the missing resources but when I ignore it and export it and check, everything is there and nothing is missing.

4 hours ago, Garden-User said:

Yeah that is stange. The File is an Excel sheet not a csv File. The Pathes are all valid Widnows 10 Pathes. The "old" ones have pathes like "\\nas\folder\product\file.afphoto" and the new ones "J:\Folder\product\file.afphoto

Sorry to hear you're having trouble here! This isn't an issue I've seen being reported previously, so we're going to need some more information from yourself.

Are all of the 'missing' resources stored on your NAS, or does this issue also affect files stored locally?

Are you able to provide a sample of the Excel sheet and a few images that show this issue in Affinity? If you'd like a private upload link for this document/images then please don't hesitate to ask :)

Please Note: I am now out of the office until Tuesday 2nd April on annual leave.

If you require urgent assistance, please create a new thread and a member of our team will be sure to assist asap.

Many thanks :)

2 hours ago, Dan C said:

Are all of the 'missing' resources stored on your NAS, or does this issue also affect files stored locally?

They are all stored on the NAS for easier Backup. 

2 hours ago, Dan C said:

Are you able to provide a sample of the Excel sheet and a few images that show this issue in Affinity? If you'd like a private upload link for this document/images then please don't hesitate to ask :)

Sure I will prepare the Sheet for you. 

Edit / Update:

The Error get away when I link the images on my local PC (SATA SSD). Funny Thing is, that the "missing" File was not even the large one. Is is "only" 10 MB large and files like 50 MB are not reported missing. "Funny" is when you SEE the Picture in Question in the Preview, was missing, and Publisher still says "missing Resource". But hey good news:

You can replicate the Error the following way:
1. Create a Publisher File with an Excel sheet linked
2. Place the Picture-Frames / Fields on the Publisher file
3. In the Excel Sheet link the Pictures to an Network-Share (Either \\nas\... or if mounted in Windows "H:\...")
4. The Linked Pictures are afphoto Files. Those Files contain Linked, NOT embedded, Images for Position correction. (They can be afphoto files or psd Files)
5. Save the Excel File. 
6. Refresh the Publisher Data merge with Preview mode. 
7. You should now see the Files and some of them should be marked missing in the Checklist. 

This will work. Our NAS is one from Synology and it is "slow" so only 50-80 MB/s read / write. But we don´t need more. Because the "Error" is not present in the export File (or when the files are local), I assume that there must be a "timeout" when Publisher checks the file.