You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Layer lock

Can we please have a layer lock function that actually protects the layer from any kind of editing when it's locked? One of the biggest nighmares of digital painters is painting on the wrong layer, especially if you're coloring under a line drawing and you accidentally selection the line drawing itself.

6 minutes ago, wonderings said:

I made a layer and locked it. I could not select it or move it.

You can’t select a locked layer on the canvas, and you can’t move, resize or rotate it, but you can select it in the Layers panel. Once selected, you can edit its contents (e.g. painting on it, or adding/removing characters if it’s a text layer) without having the protection of needing to unlock it first.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

I want my layer to be completed protected from pixel edition. I shouldn't be able to erase on it or draw on it when it's locked, that's the only reason (for me) for a lock layer function to exist. If I accidentally select it on the layers panel, I still want it to be protected unless I unlock it.

On 9/14/2021 at 9:17 PM, Adriano_C said:

I want my layer to be completed protected from pixel edition. I shouldn't be able to erase on it or draw on it when it's locked, that's the only reason (for me) for a lock layer function to exist. If I accidentally select it on the layers panel, I still want it to be protected unless I unlock it.

Affinity Store (MSI/EXE): Affinity Suite (ADe, APh, APu) 2.4.0.2301
Dell OptiPlex 7060, i5-8500 3.00 GHz, 16 GB, Intel UHD Graphics 630, Dell P2417H 1920 x 1080, Windows 11 Pro, Version 23H2, Build 22631.3155.
Dell Latitude E5570, i5-6440HQ 2.60 GHz, 8 GB, Intel HD Graphics 530, 1920 x 1080, Windows 11 Pro, Version 23H2, Build 22631.3155.
Intel NUC5PGYH, Pentium N3700 2.40 GHz, 8 GB, Intel HD Graphics, EIZO EV2456 1920 x 1200, Windows 10 Pro, Version 21H1, Build 19043.2130.

• 1 month later...

Hello, I too miss this function the most in all Affinity Products. First: I REALLY LOVE TO WORK IN AFFINITY. But I don´t understand the advantage of NOT having an effective "Lock Layer", where NO changes AT ALL are possible. (I also often have very complex illustrations with about 100 layers and all now and then by accident i get into the wrong layer and so "destroy" the layer by painting on it. Then I have to get back by the "protocoll", but when you are painting even with protocoll you cannot go back far enough to fix it. And even if you do, you have to do it all again.)

With every update I hope this will be fixed. To be honest, for me this is the only feature I feel a little uncomfortable about when reccomending Affinity to my painter friends because at least in my circle everyone is so used to this function in Photoshop or other programms like Painter, Sketchbook Pro or Procreate. Really looking forward to it. But still many thanks from my side for these great apps!! :)

• 2 weeks later...

I understand your pain ... I myself get a rage when in AP having a locked layer, I start to sketch on it instead of a new one ... despite the clear definition of "blocking" (Locking
Locking is useful when you need to prevent a layer from being moved or transformed unintentionally.)
locking doesn't work - because you can paint, draw etc ... just look at photoshop or krita...

On 11/12/2021 at 5:11 PM, irokiee said:

(Locking
Locking is useful when you need to prevent a layer from being moved or transformed unintentionally.)
locking doesn't work - because you can paint, draw etc ...

In that definition, the word “transformed” specifically refers to the things you can do via the Transform panel; i.e. moving, rotating, skewing or resizing. It doesn’t refer to transformation in the more general sense of changing something (e.g. by painting or drawing on it).

Many users would like to be able to protect groups and layers completely against all changes, but that isn’t what “locking” is currently designed to do.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 10 months later...

Please do make the layer lock absolute in Affinity Photo, as an artist it causes me endless issues. When concentrating on a complex artwork it is so easy not to notice that you are colouring the wrong layer and you have to revert to where the error occurred, which can be a long way back resulting in lost work - so frustrating!