You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Affinity Photo crashing a lot

I'm on the latest version of the system, before my notebook was HD and only 4GB of RAM, it crashed a few times, now I upgraded and I have SSD and 8GB of RAM, since when I installed version 10.1.1 it's been crashing a lot to zoom, fix touches, everything is very slow, I have already unregistered and installed and still continues to crash. The photos are not heavy, everything I used to do is now very slow. Help me please

15 minutes ago, José Elielton said:

I installed version 10.1.1 it's been crashing a lot to zoom, fix touches, everything is very slow, I have already unregistered and installed and still continues to crash. The photos are not heavy, everything I used to do is now very slow. Help me please

Currently, the most common cause for crashes can be fixed by turning off OpenCL. Go to Edit > Preferences > Performance.

If that fixes your problem, then your graphics card and/or graphics driver are incompatible with the Hardware Acceleration feature of Affinity Photo. You could try updating the driver, which works for some people, or continue with that feature turned off (like I do).

• 3 months later...
On 9/13/2021 at 4:04 PM, PeteMacca said:

Currently, the most common cause for crashes can be fixed by turning off OpenCL. Go to Edit > Preferences > Performance.

If that fixes your problem, then your graphics card and/or graphics driver are incompatible with the Hardware Acceleration feature of Affinity Photo. You could try updating the driver, which works for some people, or continue with that feature turned off (like I do).

Thank you very much!

I recently bought a decent desktop (Dell XPS 8940 with 16 Gb RAM,  NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1660 Ti,  Windows 11) but Affinity Photo was crushing on me horribly when just zooming in/out - I was ready to give up. Just read your advice and unchecked the OpenCL. It's flying now! I hope it stays like this because I love the app (and pricing, too!).

So, thanks again! (I actually just registered on this forum just so that I can tell you that! ha)

@Vit89 

I have an XPS 8940, 16 GB, GTX1660Ti (but with Win 10) and I have never had any problem with OpenCL activated.  Use the GeForce Experience app on your system to update to the latest Nvidia Studio Drivers (currently 511.09) and see if that helps.  Choose Custom Installation and check the box for clean.

• 3 weeks later...
On 9/13/2021 at 5:04 PM, PeteMacca said:

Perfect Pete, I have a RTX2060 and these crashes were taking off my sleep. Cheers.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Hi, 

I changed laptops so needed to reinstall Affinity Photo 1.10.5. I am having constant problems with it on a number of fronts. None the least of which is part way through a major project, it doesn't respond.  Numerous times I have had to uninstall and reinstall the software.  NOW, it won't even open for me (and I waited for what I think was a reasonable time before closing it out).  The above advice about the OpenCL is moot, because the software doesn't render when I try to open it.  I even downloaded the same version a second time, and tried to install (?overwrite) the program again and was given a choice of: repair or uninstall.  I selected repair. No change. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.  

Hi Pete, 

And thanks for your quick reply.  The software that I have on the new laptop mirrors that on the old laptop, for the most part.  Since my post, I spent a fair amount of time updating the computer system, and that seemed to solve the issues, albeit temporarily. So, I unselected the OpenCL default setting under preferences and, currently, things seem to be working reasonably well. Fingers crossed! LOL Thanks again. 

Another update: Same problems, different day. However, I was able to get a fair amount done in one session before checking out a website, returning to the software only to find that it was not responding.  So, THIS time I did a disk cleanup, and optimized the drives.  But, not before having uninstalled, reinstalled the software and rebooted my system earlier in the day! Such fun...

Has anyone noticed within Edit>preferences>performance window the first line that says: RAM usage limit? Mine indicates about 8GB, which I assume is the default. Never having had to access this part of the software prior to now, this is all new to me.  Some research I found indicated that max RAM usage for most 64-bit systems is 512 GB. So, that means that I can change that slider to increase max RAM usage.  

Is it possible that the software freezing, not responding etc is related to this limit? 

I have a 1TB SSD, 16GB RAM (soldered), integrated Intel UHD Graphics and currently using Windows 10 Pro 64 (my laptop is waiting patiently for me to update to Windows 11).  I have attached an image for your review.  

Any comments, thoughts, ideas are greatly appreciated. Thanks. 

Capture.JPG.6dd2c6c511fe2e84401344c9bc9a3271.JPG

Good question @lizv,

I have a similar spec laptop, 16GB RAM & integrated Intel UHD 620 Graphics. It freezes up at the drop of a hat when Hardware Acceleration (OpenCL) is enabled. So I experimented a bit and increased my RAM Usage Limit to 32GB, up from 8GB, and I think it runs a bit smoother. It could be a placebo effect..., but I've seen no downsides with that setting.

AP-Prefs.jpg.a9826539419214615262ec90dfebb163.jpg