You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

vertical justification only working on first page for Publisher

I'm new to Affinity Publisher and getting used to everything is a little overwhelming but I'm enjoying it.

I'm laying out a bilingual edition of a text in which one language uses fewer words (by a lot) than the other, so when text fills the right page and there's a lot less text on the left page, I want to vertically justify the left page. This is working beautifully on the first page created from the relevant master, but for the rest of the pages when I select "vertical justification" nothing happens and when I check again, "top justification” is selected.

If it matters, most of the pages to be justified end with page breaks. But this is also a problem on the pages that don't.

Thanks so much for any help you can give me.

Edited by Faustus

How are your text frames in your pages set to flow from page to page?

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

2 hours ago, R C-R said:

How are your text frames in your pages set to flow from page to page?

Each left-side page flows to the next left-side page and each right-side to the next right-side. So p. 2 flows to 4 flows to 6, etc., and 3 flows to 5 flows to 7, etc.

If you can create a sample document that shows the problem, diagnosis will be easier if you share that .afpub file with us.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

I solved it, though the solution is a little clunky. 

It turns out that, apparently, vertical justification is set in the master page and can't be changed from one page to the next. The first page was vertically justified because it was based on a different master page. So I just edited the post-first-page master page so it justified vertically and then, for the few cases where the text needs to be NOT justified, created another master page. It seems like an odd choice, but software designers have certainly made much odder, and I'm delighted that the text looks great now.

• Staff

Hi @Faustus,
Welcome to Affinity Forums :)
If you need to edit a specific  object belonging to a master page in a regular page, go to the regular page, right-click the Master page layer there in the Layers panel and select Edit Detached. Make the changes you need an press the Finish button on the orange bar on the top of the document area to accept the changes. That object will no longer be affected by the changes made to the master page assigned to that page.