You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Enhanced pattern layer feature or wrap around mode

For creating seamless patterns the new pattern layer is very useful but lacks some features for my workflow in creating seamless textures with higher resolution than 1k.

Problems:

1. I need my texture to span over the whole document for textures up to 4k, which is not even supported by the Layers-> New Patterns Layer. This only supports layers up to 1k.
  2. My workaround of creating a 4k selection and then create a pattern layer from this selection yields a 4k pattern layer but leads to frequent crashes where I just loose all my progress. So it sometimes needs several tries until the creation workes without a crash.
  3. If the pattern layer spans over the whole document you loose the possibility to see how the texture looks on repeated pattern. I would love to have a feature like in Krita or also requested in this thread:
  4. The work around to simply go for a 8k document to have a 4k seamless texture to see how it repeats is quite performance hungry and leads to more slower workflow.

Suggestion:

Add a seperate wrap around mode or add the possibility to see the repeated pattern over the extends of the document boarders for working on full size patterns.

This would help to create gameart in affinity photo much more efficient!