You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Publisher, Mac OS - Export fail for PDF if hyperlink error, but doesn't show in preflight

I made an erroneous edit to an extant file, and as a result one hyperlink of several included an impossible URL. This did not show up in preflight at all, but caused an "Export Failed at xxx/xxx/xxx/filename" dialogue.

I think hyperlink resolution should be part of a typical preflight, especially if it's critical stop issue enough to cause an export fail.

You might try installing the current 1.10.2 beta (from the top of the beta forum) and see if it works better. It has some fixes in this area.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

• Staff

Do you happen to know what is hyperlinked that is failing the export but not warning in preflight? There is a couple of tweaks in the latest beta in this area

If you aren't sure what hyperlink is causing this error can you upload the file here so I can take a look?

Serif Europe Ltd. - www.serif.com

I too can't export to PDF with some hyperlink error. But seriously, do I have to trawl the entire document of hundreds of hyperlinks for a rogue space or something? I will need to send this to the client very soon, and this is a serious fault in Publisher. Any suggestions apart for sit there for hours trawling and then wait in hope that the next Publisher update includes pre-flight and robust correction functionality?

31 minutes ago, Jon P said:

Preflight should warn you of the hyperlink causing issues, if it does not you can enable PDF Logging which will advise you what page the faulty hyperlink is on

Preflight doesn't warn of any issues with hyperlinks. While PDF Logging might, why do we have to run something through terminal, why is Publisher not able to specify what the problem is and where, either through Preflight or through the error message which currently just says 'there is in error'?

Just now, SarahB said:

why do we have to run something through terminal,

Because there's a bug. Preflight did be telling you, but isn't.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

3 hours ago, Jon P said:

Preflight should warn you of the hyperlink causing issues, if it does not you can enable PDF Logging which will advise you what page the faulty hyperlink is on

Thank you for this, but it seems more like a programming work around. Like my dashboard instruments are not telling me anything, so I have to open the bonnet and get my hands dirty. I hope pre-flight is an area of priority for future releases.

@Jon P - There was additional text copied beyond the intended URL, both prior to and after the URL - so content including an unescaped return before the HTTPS, and after the URL there was another unescaped return and more basic ascii text. Once this error was resolved by my manually typing in the URL into the hyperlink panel, the PDF publish then occurred as one would expect.

My two issues here (and the reason I submitted the bug report) were that:
a) a critical fault occurring which prevents publishing the primary means of output for our field which generates a vague generic and uninformative error message only is a real show-stopper 
and
b) said critical fault did NOT show up during preflight.

These combined with this being the latest official released build made me think this was worth surfacing.

As a whole, one of the joys of using Affinity's various tools is that they do what they say on the tin - quickly and effectively - and when they don't, the reasons are pretty clearly understandable. This falls pretty far outside that paradigm.