You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Brush, fill and eraser stopped working (reviewed previous threads and no luck finding the answer.

Hi everyone, absolutely stumped with this one. 

This has happened twice today where the brush/ eraser just stopped working. The first time, because i hadn't made a lot of changes, i just closed and opened the document version again. But this time, i've made a lot of changes so if i was to start from a previously saved version, i will have lost about 2 h of work, with no idea why it happened in the first place. 

I wasn't doing anything i haven't done before. The second time round, it happened just after i had added a rectangle and was erasing 1 of the sides, which automatically erased as a mask. After that, nothing worked

I checked this forum before posting to see if there was advice from anyone in a similar situation but am still having the same issue. All my pen settings are fine, no Protect Alpha. I've tried the "deselect" option - still nothing. None of my other layers work, even on my other pages and the fill tool is also firing blanks. 

What am i missing? See the attached screenshot. I'm not a professional digital artist and i've only been using Affinity for about a year so i am very open to the idea that i have no idea what i'm really doing. 

Really really appreciate some help.

Screenshot 2021-09-11 at 08.43.16.png

Perhaps you have an active pixel selection, even a very tiny one, which is limiting your tools. Try Select > Deselect in the Menu.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

56 minutes ago, walt.farrell said:

Perhaps you have an active pixel selection, even a very tiny one, which is limiting your tools. Try Select > Deselect in the Menu.

Thank you so much for responding Walt. Have given this a go but no luck. Any other suggestions?

Have you tried saving the file, File>Save or Save as? That would be one of the first things I'd try. Then bring up Task Manager, it should show Affinity Photo as not responding, as well as how much resources it's using. You should be able to right-click on Affinity Photo and from the menu select Create Dump file. This would give the developers something to look at to see why it's hanging/freezing up.

Are you running other programs/apps at the same time you're using AP, that might be requiring a lot of resources? Things like video players, internet... ? In task manager you can click on the column header (CPU, Memory, Disc..) to reorder from small to large, to see what all is using a lot of resources. From this you can select one and press End Task to shut it down. I've done this in the past, so the hanging program can access more resources, so hopefully I won't have to force it to close.

Are you running any anti-virus programs while working in AP? Does it allow excluding programs? I just run AVG-Free version (which is one of Avast's), and they finally made it so it will not interfere with apps. If not you can certainly shut the AV program down while working in AP, AND so long as you're not using the internet. Just need to remember to enable it once you're done.

Would you mind providing us with your system information, OS version, RAM, HDD availability, GPU (video card info).. ? Have you tried disabling Hardware Acceleration/OpenCL, in AP's Preferences>Performance?

Affinity Photo 2.4..; Affinity Designer 2.4..; Affinity Publisher 2.4..; Affinity2 Beta versions. Affinity Photo,Designer 1.10.6.1605 Win10 Home Version:21H2, Build: 19044.1766: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-5820K CPU @ 3.30GHz, 3301 Mhz, 6 Core(s), 12 Logical Processor(s);32GB Ram, Nvidia GTX 3070, 3-Internal HDD (1 Crucial MX5000 1TB, 1-Crucial MX5000 500GB, 1-WD 1 TB), 4 External HDD

4 hours ago, Ron P. said:

That would be one of the first things I'd try. Then bring up Task Manager, it should show Affinity Photo as not responding, as well as how much resources it's using.

The OP did not say anything about the app not responding, but regardless, from the status bar two things are evident. One is this is running on a Mac (because the color picker shortcut shows the Mac Option Key symbol). The other is this is showing a 2 page spread (pp 16 & 17) of a 44 page file open in what appears to be the Photo persona of APub, not AP.

However, I am not sure this has anything to do with the tools no longer working.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

Tools not working is quite vague, I have to guess (going from the screenshot) that the brush is not painting. Could well be one of the brushes is set to some extremes in the dynamics tab that it is not painting.

It is possible to set the secondary and primary colours to transparent and that will also look like nothing is happening.

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.1 | Affinity Photo 2.4.1 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.1 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.