You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

RTL PDF Error

Sam Neil

I am in the middle of putting together a 600 page book that is setup RTL. In the document settings I do have it as "Start on the Right".

When I produce the PDF, I choose the option "All Pages" in the Area section, however when it comes to printing, it is all messed up and it seems to have printed the document as LTR with RTL contents, so the whole book is incorrect and pages are all over the place.

Any ideas? This is a major issue for me as I need to produce 26 more and need to get to the bottom of this before I send it off to the printers.

Cheers.

4 hours ago, Sam Neil said:

In the document settings I do have it as "Start on the Right"

That simply means that, in a Facing Page document, page 1 is on the right, with a blank page on the left. The document will still print or export in order, page 1, 2, 3, ... to the end. There is no support to get the pages in the order (for example) 99, 98, ... 1.

Edit: you could Open the PDF in Designer, which would turn each page into an Artboard. Then you could invert the Artboard order in the Layers panel, and Export again to get the RTL order you want. There's even a trick to make the inversion simple, but I'll need to experiment or search to rediscover it.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

6 hours ago, walt.farrell said:

There's even a trick to make the inversion simple, but I'll need to experiment or search to rediscover it.

After you Open your PDF in Designer, you'll have Artboards named Page 1, Page 2, etc. and in the Layers panel Page 1 will be at the bottom, then Page 2 above it, etc.

If you want to Export as a new PDF with the page order reversed, you can do the following (at least on Windows, in Designer 1.10.1):

1. Layer > New Layer
  2. Select all the Artboard layers in teh layers panel, and drag them into the new Layer you just created. This should retain the current layer ordering, with Page 1 at the bottom of the stack of Artboards.
  3. With all of the Artboard layers still selected, Layer > Arrange > Move Outside. That should move them all outside of the Layer you created, and reverse the order, so the page 1 Artboard is on top, Page 2 below it, etc.
  4. At that point, if you Export a PDF again, the last page (Artboard) should appear first in the PDF, and Page 1 should appear last.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

Thank you Walt but this is not something I want to do with 26 books @ 600 pages each. I don't even understand why this happens? Surely if you have told APUB to start from right, then the application should take this into consideration when it comes to publishing it into PDF in the correct order. Your solution is good for a small publication and one off but not what I am working on.

I do hope Adam and the team will look into this as I really don't want to go to InDesign, esp I have almost finished one book in APUB.

I formulated a dirty workaround this by manually specifying the pages numbers like

1,3,2,5,4,7,6,9,8 and so on and it works.

However this is not ideal since I have 541 pages in this book. 

@AdamW please please add a feature so APUB can publish PDFs that start from Right to Publish facing pages literally from right to left or reverse the numbers in such a way that it will be

So the printers can print the RTL book as it was intended.

The current mode works correctly for a LTR publication as intended.

Cheers

2021-09-11_214229.png

19 minutes ago, Andreas CH said:

test 1.afpub

Meinst du das so?

Die Felder im Master sind:

Für die linke Seite            Nächste Rahmenseitenzahl

Für die rechte Seite        Vorangehende Rahmenseitenzahl

Not sure what you have done in your sample. See my last post for detail explanation of the issue and my workaround.