You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Adobe made an announcement. Now there are no more excuses. It’s time to switch from Photoshop to Affinity Photo.

Digitally Fearless

Is there any reason why this was created as a video? It seems to just consist of a talking torso. Would it not have been simpler to just provide the content as text. It would certainly be more convenient to read and absorb.

John

Windows 10, Affinity Photo 1.10.5 Designer 1.10.5 and Publisher 1.10.5 (mainly Photo), now ex-Adobe CC

CPU: AMD A6-3670. RAM: 16 GB DDR3 @ 666MHz, Graphics: 2047MB NVIDIA GeForce GT 630

I'm not convinced that being able to do 3D work is all that stops many people from moving from Adobe! It wouldn't surprise me if they come out with a dedicated 3D app, rather than incorporating it in Photoshop.

Acer XC-895 : Core i5-10400 Hexa-core 2.90 GHz :  32GB RAM : Intel UHD Graphics 630 : Windows 10 Home
Affinity Publisher 2 : Affinity Photo 2 : Affinity Designer 2 : (latest release versions) on desktop and iPad

3 hours ago, John Rostron said:

Is there any reason why this was created as a video? It seems to just consist of a talking torso. Would it not have been simpler to just provide the content as text. It would certainly be more convenient to read and absorb.

Probably because he has a YouTube channel as his distribution mechanism.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

Adobe has several dedicated products for 3D work, retiring the in my opinion shabby solutions within Photoshop seems logical.

@Digitally Fearless
There is an excuse ;) why should I use a program which doesn´t have certain features I might need?
What benefits does Affinity give me? The User who stumbles upon your clip is going to ask that.
Can you show something which helps the probably highly disgruntled users of Photoshop to visually understand what the best is in the current situation?

For the Video itself, It would have helped if you had gone into detail which features are removed and showing a screenshot of a news-article and explaining what it means.
What alternatives are there and why Affinity Photo is a good fit?
Saying that features from the competition got removed and now you can use Affinity Photo due to feature parity is sadly not a good advert nor convincing.

Going into soft clickbait/speculation mode in a youtube clip can also help, saying to potential sidegraders, that Serif teased a 3D painting solution which might come (be vague there - until its in a beta which you can show) might also help in understanding that Serif might cater to the users which are stranded in nowhere.

Sketchbook (with Affinity Suite usage) | timurariman.com | gumroad.com/myclay
Windows 11 Pro - 22H2 | Ryzen 5800X3D | RTX 3090 - 24GB | 128GB |
Main SSD with 1TB | SSD 4TB | PCIe SSD 256GB (configured as Scratch disk) |

2 hours ago, myclay said:

Going into soft clickbait/speculation mode in a youtube clip can also help, saying to potential sidegraders, that Serif teased a 3D painting solution which might come (be vague there until its in a beta which you can show) might also help in understanding that Sertif might cater to the users which are stranded in nowhere.

Have you seen something from Serif that I missed? I haven't seen any mention of 3D, and unless I missed it I would have to doubt they're working on it.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

Sure :), its from 2020 and previewing a texturing/previewing method for 3D Assets within Affinity Photo.
That would have spiced up the video.

3d.jpg

Sketchbook (with Affinity Suite usage) | timurariman.com | gumroad.com/myclay
Windows 11 Pro - 22H2 | Ryzen 5800X3D | RTX 3090 - 24GB | 128GB |
Main SSD with 1TB | SSD 4TB | PCIe SSD 256GB (configured as Scratch disk) |