You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

How to keep correct aspect ratio when using the 'Perspective tool'?

In Photoshop the 'Perspective crop tool' gives a proper aspect ratio when cropping which is super useful, also super fast to do.

How can this be done in Affinity Photo? I've tried to use it various ways but can't come up with a way that doesn't end up looked stretched and I can never be guaranteed something is the perfect same aspect ratio.

52 minutes ago, ATP said:

In Photoshop the 'Perspective crop tool' gives a proper aspect ratio when cropping which is super useful, also super fast to do.

You have lost me with 'a proper aspect ratio'. I would guess that you have a 'square picture frame on a gallery wall' and you want to fit your drawing into it. Make certain that your drawing is square to start with and just drag its corners into the 'square picture frame''s corners.

Also I am assuming you are talking about the Perspective too and not the Crop tool. 

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.0 | Affinity Photo 2.4.0 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.0 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

1 hour ago, Old Bruce said:

You have lost me with 'a proper aspect ratio'. I would guess that you have a 'square picture frame on a gallery wall' and you want to fit your drawing into it. Make certain that your drawing is square to start with and just drag its corners into the 'square picture frame''s corners.

Also I am assuming you are talking about the Perspective too and not the Crop tool. 

This does not work as it distorts the picture. It tries to fit the selection into a canvas shape that isn't what is chosen. I've included an example, the box is 3x3cm.

Original:

Original Image.jpg

Perspective Tool (mode: source):

Perspective Tool.jpg

Do you want the original to fit (be the size and location of) into the Source?

You can use the move tool to select the Original layer rotate and shear the Source's so the edges are vertical and horizontal then clip it with a rectangle (rasterize that layer) and stretch and shrink it to fit the Original.

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.0 | Affinity Photo 2.4.0 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.0 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

• 6 months later...

Yep, having this problem. Took photographs of a friend's art in a gallery. When I use the perspective cropping tools in Affinity to correct the perspective rather than refiguring the aspect ratio, it defaults to the original canvas size. Not at all what I'm after. Anyone know a fix for this, am I missing a setting somewhere? Thanks!

I'm not sure if I misunderstood something here, but if you know the original dimensions/aspect ratio, why not creating a canvas in that size/ratio and then pulling the corners of the perspective destination to its corners? I'm completely with @Old Bruce's suggestion in this matter.

1. Create a new canvas in the correct aspect ratio/dimensions
  2. Paste/place image onto canvas
  3. Resize (if needed and/or wanted)
  4. Open Perspective filter (either live or not, doesn't matter)
  5. Chose mode "Source" and move the four corner nodes to the four corners of the distorted source picture in your photo
  6. Chose mode "Destination" and pull the four corner nodes to the edges/corners of your canvas
  7. Apply filter
  8. Done.

The result will be a perspective distortion applied to your image to recover the original aspect ratio, basically "undoing" the perspective distortion you've created when taking the photo.

»A designer's job is to improve the general quality of life. In fact, it's the only reason for our existence.«
Paul Rand (1914-1996)