You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

'Place' dialogue box maximised and locked

I might be imagining it but I think i used to be able to move the Place dialogue box around and change the size of it. Sometimes I am searching for a file and need to look at the image I am making to find the right image to insert (a plant from a certain perspective, for example) into the piece I am making. Now, with a recent update I cannot move or resize the place dialogue window at all... it's maximised and locked. IS this deliberate to avoid some other error from occurring? If not I'd like to have it reverted back to being moveable and resizable.

Can you give us a full-screen screen-shot of what you can see?
It’s difficult to know what you are looking at when we can’t see it for ourselves.
Also, which Affinity application (and version) are you using, and on which OS (and version).
Also, “with a recent update” of what? Your application, your OS, or something else?

Good catch. Although on my Mac I can still resize the Place dialog just not move it.

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.1 | Affinity Photo 2.4.1 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.1 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

18 minutes ago, MEB said:

It also open always expanded for me - i believe this is a change in Big Sur but will have to confirm.

The check I did was here on OS 10.12.6

Isn't the Place dialog like the Open dialog, I mean shouldn't it always open expanded? Isn't it just the Save/Save as... dialog that gives the choice between small and expanded?

Affinity Designer 2.4.1 | Affinity Photo 2.4.1 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.1 | Beta versions as they appear.

1 minute ago, Ian R said:

I see the cursor changing to a resize cursor if I hover at the edges, but they don't allow my to do anything.

For what it is worth, here on the Mac there is a sweet spot I have to hit before the resize cursor will do its work. But this bug may work differently on Windows versus Mac.

• Staff
38 minutes ago, Ian R said:

I cannot move or resize the place dialogue window at all... it's maximised and locked. IS this deliberate to avoid some other error from occurring?

2 minutes ago, Ian R said:

I see the cursor changing to a resize cursor if I hover at the edges, but they don't allow my to do anything.

Hi @Ian R,

I can confirm this is working as expected for me in Windows, I believe you've double-clicked on the top toolbar for this dialog, which is the Windows shortcut to maximise the dialog. Once it's been maximised, it can't be moved or transformed - this is by design and part of Windows OS.

Please double-click on the top toolbar for the place dialog, and you should find it returns to a minimised version which can be resized as required :)

Please note -

I am currently out of the office for a short while whilst recovering from surgery (nothing serious!), therefore will not be available on the Forums during this time.

Should you require a response from the team in a thread I have previously replied in - please Create a New Thread and our team will be sure to reply as soon as possible.

Many thanks!

1 minute ago, Dan C said:

Hi @Ian R,

I can confirm this is working as expected for me in Windows, I believe you've double-clicked on the top toolbar for this dialog, which is the Windows shortcut to maximise the dialog. Once it's been maximised, it can't be moved or transformed - this is by design and part of Windows OS.

Please double-click on the top toolbar for the place dialog, and you should find it returns to a minimised version which can be resized as required :)

BINGO! and thank you

4 minutes ago, Dan C said:

you should find it returns to a minimised version which can be resized as required

<pedantry>
restored down
</pedantry>

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

• Staff
10 minutes ago, Old Bruce said:

The check I did was here on OS 10.12.6

Isn't the Place dialog like the Open dialog, I mean shouldn't it always open expanded? Isn't it just the Save/Save as... dialog that gives the choice between small and expanded?

That's what i was checking, yes, it's only the Save/Save As. Thanks.

13 minutes ago, Alfred said:

<pedantry>
restored down
</pedantry>

Actually, it's Restore and here's a picture to prove it !

PlaceDialog.png

Microsoft Windows 11 Home, Intel i7-1360P 2.20 GHz, 32 GB RAM, 1TB SSD, Intel Iris Xe
Affinity Photo - 24/05/20, Affinity Publisher - 06/12/20, KTM Superduke - 27/09/10

6 hours ago, Old Bruce said:

For what it is worth, here on the Mac there is a sweet spot I have to hit before the resize cursor will do its work.

That is the same for me (running macOS 10.15.7) but the sweet spot is the same for all windows in all apps, not just Affinity.

However, while I can resize the Place dialog window, I cannot move it like I can for the Open, Save, & Save As windows, each of which retains their last opened size & position on the display.

One other, probably related difference for Place is the window cannot be resized upward or downward from the top edge -- the sweet spot for that is also MIA.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7