You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Printing from iPad scaled instead of 100%

Mtl_Biker

Yes, I'm using method #1.  And it doesn't scale up... it scales DOWN.  Meaning the resulting image is smaller than it should be.

Using method #2, it does NOT scale at all, but gives 100% sizing.

I'm using US Letter size.

You guys have mentioned printer apps... I do not have printer apps for iOS (iPad) for either of my two Brother laser printers or for my Epson WF-4720 printer.  If I export from Designer using PDF format, I then locate the file using the Files app, and then using the Share sheet, select Print.  Both my Brother and Epson printers appear and print to properly (not scaled) without any specific printer app or driver.  My printers are all Apple AirPrint compliant.

Affinity v2 for Mac, PC and iPad

Could you upload one of the documents that you are printing? When I use method 1 with an A4 document and the 4x6 inch design in the centre I don't get any scaling at all. The A4 document is accurate whether I print through Designer, the Canon app or from Files if I select A4 as my paper size. 

13 minutes ago, SPaceBar said:

Could you upload one of the documents that you are printing? When I use method 1 with an A4 document and the 4x6 inch design in the centre I don't get any scaling at all. The A4 document is accurate whether I print through Designer, the Canon app or from Files if I select A4 as my paper size. 

This simple document should print the rectangle 3.5" x 4".  It does so when I print from Designer on my MacBook Air, but is scaled when I print the same thing from Designer on my iPad.  It's a US Letter size page.

Pouch Flap.afdesign

Here are the dimensions I get when I print this file: (Height x Width)

From Windows version to Canon G6020:   4  x 3 1/2 inches

From iPad version to Canon G6020:     3 1/2  x 3 9/32 inches

From iPad version to Canon Pro 100:    4 1/8  x 3 5/8 inches

I don't have time to work on this but it shows that there is something wrong somewhere.

-- Window 11 - 32 gb - Intel I7 - 8700 - NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060
-- iPad Pro 2020 - 12,9 - 256 gb - Apple Pencil 2 -- iPad 9th gen 256 gb - Apple Pencil 1
-- Macbook Air 15"

@Mtl_Biker I can't reproduce this issue on my Canon printer, but will log it as it seems to affect a few other printers. I have your example file so if you can upload a photo of the correct printout - from printing the PDF from Files. If you could also include a photo of the printout of the scaled down version printed from Designer iPad I can show what is happening.

2 hours ago, SPaceBar said:

@Mtl_Biker I can't reproduce this issue on my Canon printer, but will log it as it seems to affect a few other printers. I have your example file so if you can upload a photo of the correct printout - from printing the PDF from Files. If you could also include a photo of the printout of the scaled down version printed from Designer iPad I can show what is happening.

How do you think a photo of a printed rectangle could possibly be of help?

Using the iPad, I just created a totally new document, using the new document Print setting with US Letter size and scaling in inches.  I created a vertical rectangle 3" by 4" with a 1 pt black outline.

Printing it from within Designer on the iPad to my Brother L5200-DW laser printer OR my Epson WF-4720 results in a rectangle that is a hair over 1/8" reduced in size.

Exporting the document in PDF format and then printing using the Files app to either printer results in an exact 3" x 4" rectangle.

Pretty simple to explain (and duplicate).

I don't have my MacBook Air with me today but all my prior testing showed that the rectangle printed correctly from within Designer or via export to PDF perfectly.

@Mtl_Biker Not all printers use the same drivers so it actually isn't simple to reproduce the same issue on all printers. There are many variables at work including Printer Brand / Printer model. As @AlainP mentioned in this thread - he got two different results from using two different Canon printers, proving that even the same brand is capable of different results. So, it actually isn't surprising that my Canon cannot reproduce these results. 

On 9/21/2021 at 5:37 PM, AlainP said:

Here are the dimensions I get when I print this file: (Height x Width)

From Windows version to Canon G6020:   4  x 3 1/2 inches

From iPad version to Canon G6020:     3 1/2  x 3 9/32 inches

From iPad version to Canon Pro 100:    4 1/8  x 3 5/8 inches

I don't have time to work on this but it shows that there is something wrong somewhere.

If you'd like to provide the photos or a video that can show the difference between the two prints I will pass them on the development team. This is exactly what I would be producing if my printer was able to recreate the same results. While this is frustrating please bear in mind how many Airprint capable printers there are on the market.

In the meantime, I recommend you continue to print from Files.