You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Printed document larger than it should be

Hi. I'm new to Affinity Designer. I'm pulling my hair out as I must have done something wrong but can't work out what. I have set up a document (Press-ready) that is 242mm x 222mm. In document setup those are the dimensions that show. On screen those measurements are correct. I have a 3mm bleed on all sides. 

My problem is that when I print out the document the measurements have increased to 245mm x 225mm!

I'm stuck. Help please.

Welcome to the Affinity forums @Jo K!

Do you have Include Bleed in the printer dialogue checked? If yes, this would explain eventually the bigger printout. Is the Scale value at 100%? Is a printer setting perhaps overriding the Affinity scaling?

------
Windows 10 | i5-8500 CPU | Intel UHD 630 Graphics | 32 GB RAM | Latest Retail and Beta versions of complete Affinity range installed

Hi

Yes I have bleed selected but I'm measuring between the crop marks to find the finished size so the bleed shouldn't affect that. Printing scale is at 100% but maybe it is the printer at fault. I'm printing a packaging wrap on an A3 printer. Maybe I'll have to do a test on a different printer to see if it's the problem. 

I have each fold line spaced at 57mm but when printed these have stretched to nearer 58mm which would account for the extra 3mm on the overall size.

• Staff

Hi @Jo K,

Welcome to the Affinity Forums :)

On 9/7/2021 at 10:57 AM, Jo K said:

have set up a document (Press-ready) that is 242mm x 222mm. In document setup those are the dimensions that show. On screen those measurements are correct. I have a 3mm bleed on all sides. 

My problem is that when I print out the document the measurements have increased to 245mm x 225mm!

When exporting/printing with the Bleed and Crop Marks present, this document will have 3mm of 'size' added between the crop marks for all sides of the document. (provided bleed has been added to all sides equally)

This means that the distance between the crop marks for your document should be 3mm (bleed) + 242 mm (document) + 3mm (bleed), totalling 248mm - and 3mm (bleed) + 222 mm (document) + 3mm (bleed), totalling 228mm.

I have created a test document here, and these are the sizes I'm seeing in the printed document. Could you please provide a copy of your .afdesign file here, so I can take a closer look at this for you?

Many thanks in advance!

Please Note: I am now out of the office until Tuesday 2nd April on annual leave.

If you require urgent assistance, please create a new thread and a member of our team will be sure to assist asap.

Many thanks :)

Hi Dan

Thanks for the help. I could understand if the document was an extra 3mm on all 4 sides (I've now changed the bleed to 5mm) but the fact that the document has only changed by 3mm width and 3mm height is baffling. I am really wondering if it's my printer. 

I've attached screenshots. Scale is 100%. Bleed is now 5mm. Document is the correct size...when it prints out 3 mm has been added on the width and height.

Thanks

Screenshot 2021-09-08 at 14.36.34.png

Screenshot 2021-09-08 at 14.36.46.png

Screenshot 2021-09-08 at 14.40.00.png

Screenshot 2021-09-08 at 14.40.12.png

@Jo K One way to test whether it is your printer (or not) is to click the PDF dropdown in the print dialogue and select Save as PDF. Then open the PDF in Affinity Designer and draw a rectangle between the vertical crop mark centres. If the rectangle width is 242mm then you know there is nothing wrong with your document which would then suggest a possible printer issue.

Affinity Designer 2.4.1.2344 | Affinity Photo 2.4.1.2344 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.1.2344
Affinity Designer 1.7.3 | Affinity Photo 1.7.3 | Affinity Publisher 1.10.8
MacBook Pro 16GB, macOS Monterey 12.6.8, Magic Mouse

• Staff
1 hour ago, Jo K said:

Screenshot 2021-09-08 at 14.40.12.png

Thanks for your screenshots provided! I can confirm this isn't an issue with your printer, but is a known bug within Affinity when using Borderless printing, specifically with Canon printers.

This is a bug that our developers are working to fix ASAP, and should hopefully be resolved in our next update.

In the meantime, you can use the 'Print to PDF' (or export to PDF) option to create your document from Affinity, then print this externally with the correct sizes.

I hope this helps :)

Please Note: I am now out of the office until Tuesday 2nd April on annual leave.

If you require urgent assistance, please create a new thread and a member of our team will be sure to assist asap.

• Staff

No problem at all! That's correct, using either the 'Print to PDF' option in the Print dialog, or File > Export and selecting PDF will produce the correctly sized document for printing, as you have found in your tests above :)

• 1 year later...
  • Staff

Hi @MXR523,

Welcome to the Affinity Forums :)

I can confirm that the issue logged with our developers regarding borderless printing unfortunately hasn't yet been resolved, my apologies.

I will be sure to 'bump' this with your report now to bring it to their attention once again. I hope this helps!

• 1 year later...
  • Staff

Hi @JennyD558,

Welcome to the Affinity Forums & I'm sorry to hear you're having trouble.

I've checked the development log regarding this specific issue and I can see it has been closed as resolved by our team.

If you're having trouble with borderless printing, please create a new thread providing as much information about your setup as possible and our team will be sure to assist as soon as possible.

Many thanks in advance :)