You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Joining paths from 2 different layers

I'm trying to join two unconnected paths from two different layers.   I realize I have to (some how) get them to the same layer.   So it seems my problem is combining paths from one layer to another.   I've tried grouping, sub-grouping, copy/pasting, etc.

No bueno.   =[

Any thoughts are appreciated.

image.png.72862ab667dd6bcd8e166c32acdbe571.png

7 minutes ago, Sweatman said:

I'm trying to join two unconnected paths from two different layers.   I realize I have to (some how) get them to the same layer.   So it seems my problem is combining paths from one layer to another.   I've tried grouping, sub-grouping, copy/pasting, etc.

Okay, I'm not sure which way you mean this.  I'm guessing you want the two paths to become one with all the nodes from each path included.  It's actually quite simple if you know the procedure.  When in the node tool select the two nodes you want attached.  These must be end (or start) nodes, not middle nodes.  If no nodes are selected this process will attach the two closest end/start nodes.   Then just click the Join curves icon in the Action group of the context toolbar.

iMac (27-inch, Late 2009) with macOS Sierra

27 minutes ago, Gear maker said:

Okay, I'm not sure which way you mean this.  I'm guessing you want the two paths to become one with all the nodes from each path included.  It's actually quite simple if you know the procedure.  When in the node tool select the two nodes you want attached.  These must be end (or start) nodes, not middle nodes.  If no nodes are selected this process will attach the two closest end/start nodes.   Then just click the Join curves icon in the Action group of the context toolbar.

Thanks for the reply @Gear maker!

Joining two nodes isnt the problem.    My issue is getting path layer #1 combined with path layer #2 so I can THEN JOIN them exactly as you courteously explained.    Thx again.

1 hour ago, Sweatman said:

My issue is getting path layer #1 combined with path layer #2 so I can THEN JOIN them exactly as you courteously explained.

You do not need to put both curves on the same layer. The Join Curves action will do that for you.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

1 hour ago, R C-R said:

You do not need to put both curves on the same layer. The Join Curves action will do that for you.

Dang!   You are correct, Sir!    Though you have to do it carefully, you can "Join" two points.   After that, you can just drag points to join (for ppl reading in the future).     

My only complaint is that when you initially join, you get this spaghetti loop that you hafta clean up.

image.png.76716fbe6e8987cfc3788b73861c9dc8.png

7 hours ago, Sweatman said:

My only complaint is that when you initially join, you get this spaghetti loop that you hafta clean up

This won´t happen when the end nodes are "sharp" - curvature maintained or one node is dragged onto the end node of the other curvature and "Join Curves" is applied.

9 hours ago, PixelPest said:

This won´t happen when the end nodes are "sharp" - curvature maintained or one node is dragged onto the end node of the other curvature and "Join Curves" is applied.

Changing the end nodes to "sharp" changes the integrity of the original curve; but I see where you're going with this.    Thanks.

1 hour ago, PixelPest said:

every starting/end point/node should be a sharp node. Don´t you think?

I think it should be but it does not seem to always work like that.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

2 hours ago, PixelPest said:

I didn´t meant to change them after drawing; every starting/end point/node should be a sharp node. Don´t you think?

Vectorhygiene.gif.75b7fc12006871e719eb60891e75b7aa.gif

I typically only do that if I'm drawing objects with hard corners.    Otherwise I always click+drag, click+drag, click+drag, etc.