You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

PSD export error (cannot

"An error occurred while exporting to: ...."

Affinity 1.10

Document size is 3240px x 21600px @72DPI but even when trying to export a much smaller slice to PSD, it gives the same error. Ideally i would be able to export this entire document. I've been working with the same file size for 2.5 years and have successfully exported before. I export to PSD for an animator to work with the creative suite.

Screenshots and file attached. Time sensitive project so any help mucho appreciated!

Screen Shot 2021-09-04 at 8.23.47 AM.png

Screen Shot 2021-09-04 at 8.24.37 AM.png

ic_drawn_01_1_dagi.afdesign

@bwackv The error is being caused by the HSL Adjustment associated with these four layers, I've recreated them and all seems fine now.

File attached, see if it now exports correctly for you without the error...

1057616410_HSLError.jpg.5174de94875dff158049276a23f0eaca.jpg

ic_drawn_01_1_dagi_new.afdesign

Affinity Designer 2.4.2 | Affinity Photo 2.4.2 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.2
Affinity Designer  Beta 2.5.0 (2402) | Affinity Photo Beta 2.5.0 (2402) | Affinity Publisher Beta 2.5.0 (2402)

Affinity Designer 1.7.3 | Affinity Photo 1.7.3 | Affinity Publisher 1.10.8
MacBook Pro 16GB, macOS Monterey 12.7.4, Magic Mouse

It seems to export OK if you set the pre-set to "PSD (Final Cut Pro X)" – I have no idea why! 

Acer XC-895 : Core i5-10400 Hexa-core 2.90 GHz :  32GB RAM : Intel UHD Graphics 630 : Windows 10 Home
Affinity Publisher 2 : Affinity Photo 2 : Affinity Designer 2 : (latest release versions) on desktop and iPad

6 minutes ago, PaulEC said:

It seems to export OK if you set the pre-set to "PSD (Final Cut Pro X)" – I have no idea why! 

With Hangman's corrections it works with all PSD export profiles. 

@Hangman How did you recognise the faulty setting levels?

AMD Ryzen 7 5700X | INTEL Arc A770 LE 16 GB  | 32 GB DDR4 3200MHz | Windows 11 Pro 23H2 (22631.3296)
AMD A10-9600P | dGPU R7 M340 (2 GB)  | 8 GB DDR4 2133 MHz | Windows 10 Home 22H2 (1945.3803) 

Affinity Suite V 2.4 & Beta 2.(latest)
Better translations with: https://www.deepl.com/translator  
Interested in a robust (selfhosted) PDF Solution? Have a look at Stirling PDF

Life is too short to have meaningless discussions!

1 minute ago, Komatös said:

With Hangman's corrections it works with all PSD export profiles. 

I discovered this before I saw Hangman's post. but I thought it was still worth posting in case it happens again with another file. It might be worth trying if it does, rather than having to post the file here and wait for someone to find the faulty settings! 🙂

Acer XC-895 : Core i5-10400 Hexa-core 2.90 GHz :  32GB RAM : Intel UHD Graphics 630 : Windows 10 Home
Affinity Publisher 2 : Affinity Photo 2 : Affinity Designer 2 : (latest release versions) on desktop and iPad

11 minutes ago, PaulEC said:

@PaulEC That's because "PSD (Final Cut Pro X)" flattens the layer effects, i.e., you can no longer edit the HSL values if you open the file again (if that makes sense)... Exporting as PSD (preserve editability) or PSD (preserve accuracy) keeps the adjustment layers intact should they need further editing.

Affinity Designer  Beta 2.5.0 (2402) | Affinity Photo Beta 2.5.0 (2402) | Affinity Publisher Beta 2.5.0 (2402)

7 minutes ago, Komatös said:

@Hangman How did you recognise the faulty setting levels?

A bit of trial and error, I just went through rebuilding the file on a roughly layer by layer basis until the file error occurred on PSD export.

My best guess is that taking the source red layer (without any HSL adjustment), adjusting the HSL values once then duplicating the already adjusted layer and adjusting the HSL values again on that layer is the cause of the issue because duplicating the original layer that has no HSL adjustment and then applying the HSL adjustment once to achieve the blue/teal colur value seems to prevent the error...

So basically applying HSL adjustments to create the blue/teal colour by duplicating an already HSL adjusted layer seems to cause the problem, so I'm guessing a possible bug but would need to test this theory out further to confirm this is inded the case.

That's probably as clear as mud but hopefully it makes sense?

@HangmanI did wonder if it was just removing whatever was causing the problem. Obviously not ideal, but maybe better than nothing if you can't find the problem and need to get the job done quickly. Obviously your solution is much better – well done!

Wow thanks for taking the time to solve this for me. I didn’t try the final cut export, only the other two. Should’ve! Good to know about the hsl error layers. I’m amazed you started going through layer by layer - there are so many and it’s so disorganized :) I never intended to animate the project, so I also feel for the person who has to manage my mess! Cheers. 

• 9 months later...

I just had the exact same issue, I could export to PSD for Final Cut but I was having the error dialog windows when I was trying using the other options.

In my document I had a photo that I copy/pasted from Affinity Photo. This photo had some Adjustment Layers on top of if (Black and White and Recoloring).

As soon as I rasterized this photo in Designer I was able to export without error.