You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Printing across multiple pages

I'm loving this program!

However, I am creating patterns that are too large for one page and I only have a printer that goes to legal size paper. I'm hoping there is a way to have designer print across multiple pages. Then, I will line up the pages using a light box, tape them together and proceed.

I have searched forums and help to no avail. Perhaps I just don't know the right terms to search for.

Any help appreciated.

Hi dgmaccoon :)

Welcome to the forums!

This should happen automatically within the Print studio in Affinity Designer. 

In the print studio, ensure you have selected the correct page size, then make sure you have Scale highlighted under the 'Scaling and Artboards' drop down.

You should notice the preview shows 1 of 'X' depending on the size of the image :)

I hope this helps,
J

Thank you so much for the reply.

Sounds promising. Searches in Affinity help for "Scaling" and "artboards" comes up empty. I don't see anything like that in my print menu or under document setup. Sorry if I'm missing something obvious.

Also, in terms of selecting the correct page size, I'm not sure what you mean. My printer has 8.5 x 11, for example. But my canvas needs to be much larger, say 20" x 20", to accomodate the size of the pattern. If I reduce my page size, Designer cannot hold the pattern.

Finally, designer does automatically split up the pattern across multiple pages but the margins take out parts of the pattern which are not continued on the next page. In other words, a 14" line crossing 2 pages will be shorter by the amount of the margins. What I'd like is designer to print all of the design, taking into account the margins.

Thanks so much for your patience and help with this. It really is the only thing I need that I can't seem to work out.

• 1 month later...

I'll try. On the contition that I have understood your question right.

You are limited by the size of your papers of course.

Make a document the size of aprox 4 papers. Ie. 17X20 inches.

Set up your rulers to divide the document in 4.

Make your pattern.

Go to Export Persona.

Make 4 slices with guided by the rulers.

I'm not sure if you have to calculate bleed and how to do it, sorry. Maybe someone can chime in with some knowledge here. ;)

- Affinity Photo 2.3.0
- Affinity Designer 2.3.0
-Affinity Publisher 2.3.0

MacBook Pro 16 GB
MacOS Sonoma 14.1.2

• 2 years later...
25 minutes ago, Alt said:

Hey!  I was wondering if you ever found a good way to do this.  I'm trying to figure it out myself, but am not getting very far.

Tiled Printing. You can use online services for that sort of thing. Converts your design into multiple pages.

Here is one 

https://rasterbator.net

Windows PCs. Photo and Designer, latest non-beta versions.

• 1 year later...

It appears Affinity Designer also has tiled printing. I have a artboard that is 17' by 11' (ie. two standard vertical pieces of paper side by side). I set the orientation to Portrait and under Document Layout (in the print menu), i set Model to Tiled; then it split my artboard into two pages. (Note, I found that at times, I had to toggle the orientation off of Portrait and then back on it again in order for it to work - probably a bug)

• 9 months later...

I am now on 1.9.3 and I am still having problems with printing a Document to multiple pages. I have a document that 720mm x 210mm (i.e. 3 landscape pages of A4). At one stage, it gave me 'Tiled' in the Fit-Type drop-down list of the Print menu but it never appeared again.

I have had to use a technique (see below) from October 2019 to print this document and I have more, even larger, documents to print so I would like to do this without a lot of extra fiddly work. Can anyone help explain how to do this or inform me of a bug that is stopping me?