You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Bleed Bug

norbinw

• Staff

Hi norbinw, I believe this is actually By Design - the bleed area isn't considered part of the document area, so colouring the artboard will only colour it to its specific size. 

Me personally I wouldn't ever really apply a fill to the artboard - I would much rather add a shape to the bottom of my document and add the fill to that. That way you can resize it to encompass the bleed area and you get more control further down the line depending on what you wish to do with it.

That's how I did it since the beginning until someone asked me why do I do this because I can use fill (and fill worked fine). Creating a rectangle isn't more flexibe, because if I make the artboard larger by a few mm, I need to change the rectangle too instead of auto filling the document.

It shouldn't behave like that because bleed IS part of the document.. And on M1s people can export and color is covering the whole artboard. Also someone mentioned that it was fixed (meaning it filled the whole document before).

Original thread: 

This. For me it is strange why bleeds do not working properly with artboards. Be it an artboard fill or colored shape layer placed to the bottom of an artboard. Bleed is always white on raster exports when it should match the contents placed over. It's only correct when exporting to PDF. But in Affinity Designer app it remains invisible and on any raster export it became white.

I believe there's a current logic behind using artboards that strictly clips any content outside of an artboard boundaries. And bleed is considered to be an outside part of it, so I technically understand why it became white.

I also believe that there's should be a setting/toggle in selected artboard context toolbar – Clip Content. Or Show/Hide Bleed Content.

Edited by Alex M

So are you gonna mark this as bug, or should I uninstall this and move back to Illustrator? I need a TIFF with bleed, and it won't export. JPEG bleed is also white.. WTF?

It's SUCH A PITY I've invested hours into learning this app, instead of AI... Now I have to invest hours into learning that too. How can I do my work and make my $ with this app when I can't do simple things like a bleed export.. Don't tell me the option is there in export persona, to simply export extra white pixels..

Edit: Happening with Artboards only. A 2018 thread was found with this issue. Fixed back then, seems to be back now. please PLEASE fix bleeds as they are important for printing.

• 2 months later...

I also struggle with this bleed problem for a long time in my professional workflow. Please @Sean P that can't be serious that you can check bleed in the export options that is a white area for the print. This must be change.

Edit: for all export options, not only PDF (where it works like expected)

As you can see, 2 months have passed, and still nothing. There is no use in working in this app if you are serious about your workflow. It's a good app to learn vector, then move on to Illustrator. I SERIOUSLY don't understand how can bleed, a very important thing in printing, can be ignored in a so called design software..

As I said, it works as it should for the PDF export (for print). But in other file formats (which I sometimes have to use) the bleed option is there, but it only exports a white area. 

But the fact that the bleed is not visible during editing is really also a problem.

No it doesn't work. Make an artboard w bleed, fill with a color, export it as PDF. Bleed is White. - It only exports correctly if you make a black rectangle or whatever color on the artboard, if you just fill it, it won't work (but IT DID BEFORE!). Bleed is a total mess in the latest designer versions..

This is still strange to me, after several months. Designer is a vector editing program. There are even paper size presets available in new document window.

So that means that, probably, some of the people may want to actually print their work, print their artboards.

Being able to visually control the bleed area before the export is crucial. But it is not working with artboards.

I believe that artboards, just as pages in Publisher, should receive the ability to display the bleed area around them.

So they shouldn't be always strictly clipped to their own bounds if any bleed is applied to them.

So, definitely it's a bug. If it is done intentionally by design, then it is a very serious design flaw.

I sometimes make artboards for labels, and just fill them with black, instead of making a rectangle and dragging to the bleed edges.. it worked until recently. There is no need to add a rectangle as background, instead of coloring the background.. It's an extra step, and like I said, it worked before. Other people on this forum suggested it to me, because I was working like you, making an artboard, then making another background on it (for no reason).  It shouldn't work like this, because guess what, if you don't use artboard (but still use bleed) and repeat the same thing on a non artboard document, it exports fine. 

When you create objects over bleed area, the export ok as PDF. But not in JPEG, TIFF etc. That's a different bug, still bleed related. That's why Bleed is a joke in this app. It behaves differently in every situation, when it simply shouldn't.

• 2 weeks later...

Again I need a TIFF document with bleed and AGAIN I can't export it. Admins seem to ignore this issue.. What should I do now??? Why the F*** did I pay for this beta app is beyond me. You must understand my frustration, as I am against time, making money, and can't give the client what he wants!!!

Exporting to PDF gives me bugs, as I have mentioned it on the forum some time ago (transparency bug thread, by me), but surprise surprise, Ignored and present till this day.

All I wanted is to rasterize everything via TIFF export, because I want to get what I see, and don't need further edit.. And export that rasterized image with bleed.

Screen Shot 2021-12-14 at 14.59.11.JPG