You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Gradient changes on mouse release

Andy Mo

I am drawing a new radial gradient on a blank pixel layer.  When I adjust the gradient size handles by dragging my mouse, the gradient draws correctly.  However when I release the mouse, the resulting gradient changes to ... something different.

Image 1 is a screen capture while still holding the mouse and dragging the size handle.  Notice the gradient is nice and circular.

950133582_2021-09-02AndySnap003.jpg.550010dd99e424c13e5b446a2797f6fb.jpg

Image 2 is a screen capture right after I release the mouse button.  Notice it is very different !

1378074670_2021-09-02AndySnap004.jpg.b57ea570aa21bca26a4754842962d345.jpg

any ideas ?

Not sure but this seems wrong, dotted line and not at 90 degrees.

898847805_ScreenShot2021-09-03at7_08_32AM.png.bcd38feceac928465e9777897b65fa41.png

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.1 | Affinity Photo 2.4.1 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.1 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

I can't change the angle of those two lines.  The tool seems very cumbersome, especially since the colour picker only shows 1 of the colours at a time, so you are always clicking on small objects (dangerous because you could deselect it and then lose editing ability)

I'll try for the screen record .. 

1 hour ago, Andy Mo said:

Actually - Old Bruce pointed out something to me.  Why are there two lines when using RADIAL ? (I am NOT using ELLIPTICAL). Flipping between the two did not change.  Sorry i didn't notice that before, but I am new to this tool.

Double click on the black dot in the screenshot I posted and the dotted line will collapse back. This is cause by what Lem3 posted. 

Affinity Designer 2.4.1 | Affinity Photo 2.4.1 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.1 | Beta versions as they appear.

13 minutes ago, Lem3 said:

There are demons that lurk within the PSD forest.

So many problems that are reported turn out to be from importing other software's files or exported 'common' formats. 

• Staff

Thanks for the file. This is happening with this layer because it was stretched vertically. Select the layer, switch to the Move Tool and check the dpi on the top left corner of the app's interface - notice the dpi - 72x276. A non-stretched layer has the same dpi for both dimensions (horizontal/vertical) and when the values match we only display the value once (i.e 72). That's why it works with new layers (they weren't stretched/have the same dpi in this case 72 which is this document's dpi).