You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Toggle Bounding Boxes ON or OFF

Feature Request: Toggleable Bounding Box

The ability to toggle the bounding boxes on text objects or layers either ON or OFF.

Reason:

This makes adjusting kerning or moving objects easier, allowing the user to see the effects of their changes without being obstructed by the bounding box. This should also be an option for adjusting any object or layer, it makes it easer to see when lining up certain elements.

18 hours ago, DylanGG said:

moving objects easier

image.png.cc329bf428025937a74e0a7e69971f89.png

Affinity Store (MSI/EXE): Affinity Suite (ADe, APh, APu) 2.4.0.2301
Dell OptiPlex 7060, i5-8500 3.00 GHz, 16 GB, Intel UHD Graphics 630, Dell P2417H 1920 x 1080, Windows 11 Pro, Version 23H2, Build 22631.3155.
Dell Latitude E5570, i5-6440HQ 2.60 GHz, 8 GB, Intel HD Graphics 530, 1920 x 1080, Windows 11 Pro, Version 23H2, Build 22631.3155.
Intel NUC5PGYH, Pentium N3700 2.40 GHz, 8 GB, Intel HD Graphics, EIZO EV2456 1920 x 1200, Windows 10 Pro, Version 21H1, Build 19043.2130.

• 2 months later...

I second this, it should be possible to hide bounding and transform boxes globally.

I hide my bounding boxes in Adobe Illustrator all the time. I find them to be extremely distracting when fine-tuning not only type but object relationships in general. Illustrator for example has a few dedicated tools that make this feature even more useful - like the rotate and scale tools, which allow you to scale without transform handles.

Having a box around an object simply changes the way it is perceived. Constantly deselecting or pressing space bar is annoying, and not possible for some actions like nudging (unless you do nudge, space bar, nudge, space bar....).[edit: I did not know keeping space bar pressed still allows nudging]

I don't think it is very important to discern between bounding box and transform box as Illustrator does (I always press both Ctrl+H and Ctrl+Shift+B anyway), but being able to work without a box is very important for certain workflows.

I know this can lead to confusion for some people as it isn't always clear what is being selected, but Designer already has the outline flash which could be used for this - show outline when selecting a new object or single clicking on already selected object.

I would also like to add that the Point Transform Tool already comes pretty close, at least for object transformations. The box is gone, but ideally the outlines would be too.

Again, the outline flash could be used to highlight the edge (and nodes), although in this case a short flash on outline hover would probably be more appropriate here.

Working with this might also get easier when the UX would additionally allow you to

• drag on any part of the outline (not only nodes) for snap transforms, and
  • dragging anywhere on the artboard for free rotate / scale (not a necessity, but makes transforms easier because you don't need to pick a node first, which requires some precision)

• 2 weeks later...

I've been asking about this for years. Everytime I use Affinity Designer this frustrating oversight begs the question of how the devs don't fix this. With more than 30 years in of almost-daily CG production under my belt, I guess I can say that to the devs that this is incredibly unimpressive.