You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Blur and Sharpen brush tools not working properly

With hardware acceleration switched on a chequered background shows through the brush area and no blurring happens. Blur tool does work OK with hardware acceleration switched off.

Sharpen tool lightens the part of the image within the brush area but doesn't seem to do any sharpening regardless of whether hardware acceleration is on or off. This is with only the Background layer present and switching the brush type from Acrylic to Basic.

Affinity Photo version 1.10.1(.142)

Windows 10

NVidia GeForce GTX 1650 Super graphics card

Hi, I have a similar problem. The Blur and Median brushes (at least these, I haven't tried them all) show a preview with hardware acceleration, but I can't change anything in the image at all with them. Without hardware acceleration, the brushes work as they should.

Affinity Photo 1.10.1.1142, Nvidia GTX 1070 v471.96

• Staff

Hi Rincewind,
I've filed and bumped a couple more report/logs regarding the issues with the Blur, Sharpen and Median Blur tools quite recently. From the failing brush previews (they can be switched off in Preferences, User Interface section) subtle output with hardware acceleration, opacity slider being ignored (Blur Tool) and lack of progressive effect/spreading when painting over the same area with a single passage, all of them are logged to be looked at. Thank you for your feedback. Much appreciated.

• 1 year later...