Sign in to follow this  
Twomen

PDF export not including Colour profile (Affinity Designer Beta 1.3.5.7)

Hi.

When I'm exporting to the PDF, final document has a different colour profile. Check the screenshots please.

1. My document has Rectangle with colour 30/90/80/10 CMYK and colour profile FOGRA39.

2. In export I set "Use document profile" and "Embed profiles".

3. But the final PDF document has colour profile "CGATS TR 001" and colour numbers are different too (20/83/66/11 CMYK).

Any idea please? Thank you.

post-21779-0-62561800-1447603210_thumb.png

post-21779-0-43776500-1447603211_thumb.png

post-21779-0-82290000-1447603212_thumb.png

PDF Export is broken in this beta, I'm afraid. Sometimes it crashes, and sometimes it uses a fallback CMYK profile (even if you wanted to export RGB). It'll be fixed in the next beta, which should be available soon.

Hi there,

I am also not able to export a PDF with CMYK + embedded color profile (using Affinity Designer 1.4.2). No matter what options I choose, the output always falls back to sRGB. I didn't find a way to fix this and had switch back to Adobe. I'd definitely prefer to work with Affinity products, so I wonder if there's a workaround or a fix for this problem.

@Affinity: Will there be a fix for this problem soon? Or did I miss anything?

Thanks,

Nils

Nils, this is the first time I've heard of this problem. If you output as PDF/x-1a, then that should definitely be CMYK because the standard doesn't allow anything else. Are you using File > Export > PDF, or the Export persona? Is this every file that you try to export, or just one specific document? What colour profile does it use? How are you checking which profile is embedded?

Hi Dave, thanks for the fast reply! I tried both, the export dialog and the export persona. My print service requires me to use the PDF/X-3:2002 standard and the ISO Coated v2 300% (ECI) color profile. Their preflight check said its not CMYK and therefore they cannot print it. However, as soon as I switch over to Adobe CC, I can convert the PDF file to CMYK and embed the profile and everything is fine with their check.

Do you have any idea on how to solve this internally in Affinity Designer?  

First, we support the 2003 standard, not the earlier 2002. If your printer cannot use anything from 2003 then I'm afraid there's not much we can do.

That aside, the main reason to use PDF/X-3 rather than PDF/X-1a is that the former supports a mix of CMYK and RGB, so for that format we try to export RGB images as RGB. If your printer can support PDF/X-1a:2003, then I'd suggest you use that as it will do the conversion automatically. Otherwise, you will need to convert your images manually before you export. One approach is to set the document format to CMYK and the colour profile you need in File > Document Setup > Colour, then select the RGB images and use Layer > Rasterise....