You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Adjusting the saturation of shadows and highlights independently

Hi All

Is there a way to easily adjust the saturation/vibrancy of dark and light areas independently? I often want to reduce the saturation of shadowed areas in a photo but haven't been able to find a quick and easy way of doing this. The 'Colour Balance' tool has a simple 'Tonal Range' drop down to select between Highlights/Midtones/Shadows - is there a similar tool I'm missing with this option for saturation.

Thanks

2 hours ago, Tom_harding said:

Hi All

Is there a way to easily adjust the saturation/vibrancy of dark and light areas independently? I often want to reduce the saturation of shadowed areas in a photo but haven't been able to find a quick and easy way of doing this. The 'Colour Balance' tool has a simple 'Tonal Range' drop down to select between Highlights/Midtones/Shadows - is there a similar tool I'm missing with this option for saturation.

Thanks

I'm unsure if the solution based on curves and blend mode saturation is an exact method to provide the requested result. If you are already fully satisfied, you can disregard my post below.

To really adjust the saturation of pixels depending on lightness, i would suggest to use an HSL adjustment (to adjust saturation) in combination with an mask. In this case, an mask based on lightness. There are (at least) 2 options to create such an mask:

1. Static:
    1. Use Ctrl-Alt-Shift-Lef-click-on-pixel-layer to create a lightness based selection.
    2. Create HSL adjustment to tackle highlights.
    3. Invert Selection. Create second HSL adjustment to tackle shadows.
    4. Deselct all
  2. Dynamic: use an procedural texture filter with formula shown below nexted to the HSL adjustment (highlights).
    Use "1-" in front of the formula for the shadow-HSL-adjustment.

For those in need of a sharply defined range of the lightness to select which pixels get impacted by the HSL adjustment, i can provide and "extended version" of option 2 with 2 input parameters (min and max lightness) affecting only the defined range of pixels.

image.thumb.png.f407bcd579344011bf10dd24d377bf81.png

Edited by NotMyFault

Mac mini M1 A2348 | Windows 10 - AMD Ryzen 9 5900x - 32 GB RAM - Nvidia GTX 1080

LG34WK950U-W, calibrated to DCI-P3 with LG Calibration Studio / Spider 5

iPad Air Gen 5 (2022) A2589

Special interest into procedural texture filter, edit alpha channel, RGB/16 and RGB/32 color formats, stacking, finding root causes for misbehaving files, finding creative solutions for unsolvable tasks, finding bugs in Apps.

Thanks for taking the time to reply NotMyFault

I have to edit hundreds of images so I was only really looking for a quick and simple method. Creating mask layers or running script seems a very laborious method for what should be a pretty simple task. Would you mind explaining what the shortcut cut keys in option 1 point 1 are actually doing? I find it easier to learn what's being done before the shortcut keys to do it.

Thanks

12 minutes ago, Tom_harding said:

Would you mind explaining what the shortcut cut keys in option 1 point 1 are actually doing?

Sure. This shortcut will create a selection based on the luminosity of the layer (targeted by the mouse-click). As fas as I know, this is the only available way to use this functionality. There is no menu item for this method of selection.
I think this is a perfect 100% fit for your request “luminosity based”

You do not need to run a script. The formula can be saved as a preset, and the filter including the preset can be saved as an asset, or copied / pasted. In essence, it is and 2 click solution. One for the luminosity based selection, one to apply the PT filter.

The charm of the PT filter lies in the option to further extend the functionality. You can used it to create a mask based on any almost any kind of condition. Selection based on hue, saturation, luminosity, …. Whatever you like. This includes from/to ranges of these parameters, combination (and/or), etc. And this is a live filter, showing the result in real-time.

Mac mini M1 A2348 | Windows 10 - AMD Ryzen 9 5900x - 32 GB RAM - Nvidia GTX 1080

Special interest into procedural texture filter, edit alpha channel, RGB/16 and RGB/32 color formats, stacking, finding root causes for misbehaving files, finding creative solutions for unsolvable tasks, finding bugs in Apps.

52 minutes ago, user_0815 said:

I wonder why nobody mentioned blend-ranges (the little gear/cog). That's what I usually use, as I find it the easiest way.

1. Add any adjustment layer 
2. Limit to highlights/midtones/shadows as needed.

blendranges.jpg

Manchmal sieht man den Wald vor lauter Bäumen nicht 🌳🌲🪵🌴🌵😂