You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Effects gradient overlay

Have you tried creating styles for saving your gradient overlay effects?

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

I’m not sure RC-R that you are understanding what I’m referring to. I don’t want to save a gradient effect made via the gradient overlay effects panel. I want to be able to access gradients I already have within the colour system from the effect gradient overlay panel which I should be able to do. In fact I should be able to access my preset gradients from anywhere within the colour system.

19 minutes ago, Raymondo said:

I want to be able to access gradients I already have within the colour system from the effect gradient overlay panel which I should be able to do.

Could you explain a bit more about what you mean by gradients already in the color system?

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

By that I mean colour and swatches which are part of what I call the colour system. In the swatches palette, apart from the Pantone colour palettes you have all your preset colour swatches parked here, i.e gradient palettes etc you have created or downloaded. At present you cannot access these gradient swatches from the effects gradient overlay window which you should be able to. Your swatches should be available to you throughout the program where there is colour selection options, it shouldn’t be limited to just creating a gradient, that’s my issue with the software. It’s been like this since the beginning. I may be talking out of turn here but I wouldn’t think this would require a major effort to correct. 

You can add your own gradients to the colour swatches. Just create a gradient on a vector object. That is Important! You can't save gradients from pixel layers. I think it is because you can even choose the colour of single gradient points by clicking on a colour swatch. Then go to the burger menu of the Colour Swatches Panel and click on "Add Application Palette", if you want to create a new category for your own gradients. After that you can add your gradients to your category by clicking on the button "Add current fill to palette" (on the right of the Palettes Menu). To give that category a name open the burger menu again and click on Rename Palette.

Normally you can even transfer gradients you created on pixel layers before, if you create a vector object, draw a gradient on it and click besides the entry "Recent" in the Swatches Panel on your gradient.

With respect you have totally misunderstood the issue. It’s not about creating, saving and naming gradients to the swatches palette, I’ve already saved many gradients to this palette and understand the practice fully. I am referring to the access and use of these gradients within the swatches palette, within the effects overlay window.

27 minutes ago, Raymondo said:

With respect you have totally misunderstood the issue. It’s not about creating, saving and naming gradients to the swatches palette, I’ve already saved many gradients to this palette and understand the practice fully. I am referring to the access and use of these gradients within the swatches palette, within the effects overlay window.

OK, I see. But that seems to be a bug, because my gradient categories appear under "Swatches" in the Colour menu of "Gradient Overlay" in the FX panel, while the gradients, I saved in this cetegories, don't. 

18 minutes ago, iconoclast said:

OK, I see. But that seems to be a bug, because my gradient categories appear under "Swatches" in the Colour menu of "Gradient Overlay" in the FX panel, while the gradients, I saved in this cetegories, don't. 

Yes it seems to be a bug..

fx-gradientoverlay.jpg

Affinity Photo 2.4..; Affinity Designer 2.4..; Affinity Publisher 2.4..; Affinity2 Beta versions. Affinity Photo,Designer 1.10.6.1605 Win10 Home Version:21H2, Build: 19044.1766: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-5820K CPU @ 3.30GHz, 3301 Mhz, 6 Core(s), 12 Logical Processor(s);32GB Ram, Nvidia GTX 3070, 3-Internal HDD (1 Crucial MX5000 1TB, 1-Crucial MX5000 500GB, 1-WD 1 TB), 4 External HDD

• Staff

Hi @Raymondo and all others here :)

18 minutes ago, Ron P. said:

Yes it seems to be a bug..

fx-gradientoverlay.jpg

I can confirm this is not technically a bug, though it is logged with our developers as an improvement.

When editing any gradient colour node (be it from the Context Toolbar with the Gradient/Fill Tool enabled, the Gradient Map Adjustment, or the Gradient Overlay FX option) you are only editing one 'point' in the gradient, and therefore it isn't possible to apply a Swatch gradient 'within' another gradient.

However, I can certainly see why you'd want to apply already created Swatches to these dialogs, which is the improvement that is already logged.

I will be sure to 'bump' this improvement request with our developers now for you, I hope this clears things up!

Please Note: I am now out of the office until Tuesday 2nd April on annual leave.

If you require urgent assistance, please create a new thread and a member of our team will be sure to assist asap.

Many thanks :)

I can see why now. I think that the possible route could be making them accessible from the Gradient color block, the one to the right of the word Gradient.

Thanks Dan.

Affinity Photo 2.4..; Affinity Designer 2.4..; Affinity Publisher 2.4..; Affinity2 Beta versions. Affinity Photo,Designer 1.10.6.1605 Win10 Home Version:21H2, Build: 19044.1766: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-5820K CPU @ 3.30GHz, 3301 Mhz, 6 Core(s), 12 Logical Processor(s);32GB Ram, Nvidia GTX 3070, 3-Internal HDD (1 Crucial MX5000 1TB, 1-Crucial MX5000 500GB, 1-WD 1 TB), 4 External HDD

6 hours ago, Raymondo said:

I am referring to the access and use of these gradients within the swatches palette, within the effects overlay window.

I think more generally it is about using gradients  everywhere color choices are offered, & setting of all of a gradient's color stops to those of any gradient that is available in the Swatches panel.

Does that sound about right?

Affinity Photo