You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Opened SVGs discard real-world size information and imported with incorrect DPI and document units

Brian M

Here's a simple SVG: 

<svg width="4in" height="4in" viewBox="0 0 384 384" xmlns="http://www.w3.org/2000/svg">
    <circle cx="192" cy="192" r="196" />
</svg>

It's a 4-inch circle, at 96 DPI. The DPI can easily be inferred from the svg tag.

Opening the file in Affinity produces questionable and frustrating results:

image.png.637730b63721d9eb72de452f60269d3c.png

The document gets changed from inches to pixels and transparently rescaled to 72 DPI, discarding any information about the original size and DPI.  If you then re-export at 96 (which needs to be the DPI for some applications) it will now be 3 inches. (And if even if you change the document units back to inches, that information will be lost when you export it, but that's a separate issue).

This is somewhere between frustrating and infuriating for people who need their designs to have real-world dimensions. I create and sell designs for laser cutters, and I already have to fix my SVGs after exporting from Affinity to have fixed dimensions in order to get them to work with all laser software. But if someone wants to open my design in Affinity and make an adjustment, then re-export, their design is going to shrink by 75%.

My request is that my default, SVGs that are sized in inches or millimeters retain both their original document units and pixel dimensions (and therefore DPI).  To me, any other behavior is a bug.  Along with the inability to export in inch/millimeter units, this behavior causes endless headaches for laser users and designers.