You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Transforming the size of a photo

Hi, 

I have a requested site for a photo on a website and I made an Affinity Photo document with this size, copied the photo from another window and inserted it. I tried for an hour, but I didn't find an option, in which I could quickly transform the size of the photo that it fits my prepared document. That should be something, you really need often, so I'm probably too stupid to see it - but can that be so hidden or hard to find? In my video editing software I just select the option fill frame an it scales the photo automatically. 

Did you try the Transform panel? It should provide what you need, if you have the Move Tool active and the layer selected. This assumes, though, that the size you need is compatible with the aspect ratio of the image.

Otherwise what you need is cropping, not resizing. In that case, just Open the image and crop using the Crop Tool, with it set to Resample mode.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

You could also scale a photo by clicking with the Move Tool on it to select it, and then drag the corner points (not the edge points) of the image frame. If the Magnetic Alignment is activated, the edges of your image will snap to the edges of the canvas.

But be careful, because photos consist of pixels and will always lose some quality (pixelizing or bluring) if you scale them.

The Move Tool seems to work, but it needs a lot of dragging to get it down to the size I need. There must be an easier way to make it fit the frame, isn't it? Or do I have a completely wrong approach to it? What I have is a really high quality photo which is big in size and I need in a much smaller size with less DPI as well for the website. It has to fit into a small column with a specific size. I don't think the crop tool can do this, can it? 

As far as I know, there isn't a feature "fit layer to image size", like there is in GIMP f.e. But, as Walt already said, you could fill the target size for the layer into the Transformation Panel. 

But there is an opposite feature that fits the canvas size to the image layer: Clip Canvas in the Document Menu. If you use this feature, you can scale the entire image with Resize Document, also in the Document Menu. You can also change the DPI resoultion with it.

40 minutes ago, iconoclast said:

you can scale the entire image with Resize Document, also in the Document Menu.

That should be the way to go. Make sure that the Resample box is ticked. However, if you change the dpi, do this before you the change the target dimensions (width/height). Resize Document will not change the Aspect Ratio (unless you click on the lock between width and height, not recommended for pictures). You might like to try the different scaling algorithms. For photos, bicubic or one of the Lanczos algorithms are better. You may need to crop the re-scaled image to remove excess height or width.

John

Windows 10, Affinity Photo 1.10.5 Designer 1.10.5 and Publisher 1.10.5 (mainly Photo), now ex-Adobe CC

CPU: AMD A6-3670. RAM: 16 GB DDR3 @ 666MHz, Graphics: 2047MB NVIDIA GeForce GT 630

33 minutes ago, Christian Kogler said:

What am I doing wrong?

I thought I understood what you were trying to do, but from that video, I'm now unsure what you want to accomplish.

You have a blue pixel rectangle and you have the background image. What is the end result that you want?

-- Walt
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.

4 minutes ago, walt.farrell said:

You have a blue pixel rectangle and you have the background image.

Maybe just face hiding 🙂

1 minute ago, Christian Kogler said:

Well, forget the blue rectangle, that's not what it is about. I want that photo to have a specific pixel size. It's far too big for what I need it and I can't get it small there, so I wanted to do it in Affinity. 

OK; that's different from your initial description, where you said you had created a document of the size you needed, then added an image to it, and needed to resize the image to fit the document.

What you showed in that video seems to be an image which is already the size of its document.

And what you tried to do, I think, was Document > Resize Canvas. No one suggested that. Document > Resize Document should be all you need.

-- Walt
PC:

No, Walt, that's exactly what I want - I want to fit an image into a document. The videos above put me on the right track, because I hadn't activated the transformation tool, what I have now, I used, but now the photo is pixeled. I don't understand, how a photo which is much bigger in the orginal can suddenly get pixeled when I make it smaller. I suppose, there's something essential, I don't get here, sorry guys, that I'm such a nuisance. 

Bildschirmfoto 2021-09-01 um 06.14.43.png

The photo isn't only pixelated, it is also distorted (aspect ratio). If you scale an image with the Move Tool, you should do it by dragging the corners. Dragging the edges wil distort the image. If you scale it with the Transform Panel, you should "Lock Aspect Ratio" (Chain symbol on the right of the panel).

The pixelisation may result from the Resampling Mode. Take a look into the Preferences, under "Performance". The "View Quality" should be set to "Bilinear".

It could also result from the resolution. What size (pixel x pixel) does your transformed image have? And what zoomfactor did you use for this screenshot?

You stated you want to place the image inside a document. Have you tried just that? File>Place? So long as you don't exceed the pixel resolution of the image being placed, it should not pixelate, or distort.

Affinity Photo 2.4..; Affinity Designer 2.4..; Affinity Publisher 2.4..; Affinity2 Beta versions. Affinity Photo,Designer 1.10.6.1605 Win10 Home Version:21H2, Build: 19044.1766: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-5820K CPU @ 3.30GHz, 3301 Mhz, 6 Core(s), 12 Logical Processor(s);32GB Ram, Nvidia GTX 3070, 3-Internal HDD (1 Crucial MX5000 1TB, 1-Crucial MX5000 500GB, 1-WD 1 TB), 4 External HDD

Thanks, Ron, I tried the "placing tool", which seems to do what I want, but it's pixelling the image again. My target resolution of the document is 148 x 168, but the original resulation is 2917 × 4375. So I'm aware that the aspect ratio isn't right, but why the pixelling when the image in original is much larger than the target size? 

So I think that your problem depends on the zoom factor. If you watch a verry small image with a big zoom factor it will of course look pixelated, because also the pixels are zoomed. Watch it with a zoom factor of 100% and you will see what it really looks like. - The image will also appear on the website with 100% zoom factor - its original size.

This illustrates what @iconoclast said above.
For fast zooming to 100%, use the double click on the magnifying glass icon.