You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Hi,

this totally depends how the files will be used by the client, e.g. for print or website usage.  there is no single standard 

It would be best to ask the client. 

Mac mini M1 A2348 | Windows 10 - AMD Ryzen 9 5900x - 32 GB RAM - Nvidia GTX 1080

LG34WK950U-W, calibrated to DCI-P3 with LG Calibration Studio / Spider 5

iPad Air Gen 5 (2022) A2589

Special interest into procedural texture filter, edit alpha channel, RGB/16 and RGB/32 color formats, stacking, finding root causes for misbehaving files, finding creative solutions for unsolvable tasks, finding bugs in Apps.

On 8/31/2021 at 4:36 PM, NotMyFault said:

Hi,

this totally depends how the files will be used by the client, e.g. for print or website usage.  there is no single standard 

Hi, They will use it on web and in presentation slides.

Then i would recommend using RGB/16 color format, and export as svg, eps, png, jpg.

use this color profile:

E6D1BB9B-D011-4E87-95EF-B7DC49BB7B63.jpeg.06f618df73d2b22dc870623987c46706.jpeg

Do not use any sRGB device specific profiles (e.g. Monitor profiles)

svg and eps for vector based designs (allowing scaling without quality loss by pixelation, and using transparent backgrounds).

PNG for pixel based designs (allows transparency and lossless compression)

JPG as fall back option for those lacking the skill to use better suited formats 

Edited by NotMyFault

Mac mini M1 A2348 | Windows 10 - AMD Ryzen 9 5900x - 32 GB RAM - Nvidia GTX 1080

Special interest into procedural texture filter, edit alpha channel, RGB/16 and RGB/32 color formats, stacking, finding root causes for misbehaving files, finding creative solutions for unsolvable tasks, finding bugs in Apps.

44 minutes ago, NotMyFault said:

Then i would recommend using RGB/16 color format, and export as svg, eps, png, jpg.

use this color profile:

E6D1BB9B-D011-4E87-95EF-B7DC49BB7B63.jpeg.06f618df73d2b22dc870623987c46706.jpeg

Do not use any sRGB device specific profiles (e.g. Monitor profiles)

svg and eps for vector based designs (allowing scaling without quality loss by pixelation, and using transparent backgrounds).

PNG for pixel based designs (allows transparency and lossless compression)

JPG as fall back option for those lacking the skill to use better suited formats 

You didn't said me the layout dimension(page width and page height in pixels).

Have you not been provided with the layout requirements?

What is a "scientific icon"? Do they contain small graphic details?

To put it very simply, a 2K (2560 x 1440 px) resolution, is good for many tasks.

If the presentation is on a large 4K (16:9) screen, the screen resolution is likely to be 3840 × 2160 px.

4 minutes ago, telemax said:

Have you not been provided with the layout requirements?

What is a "scientific icon"? Do they contain small graphic details?

To put it very simply, a 2K (2560 x 1440 px) resolution, is good for many tasks.

medical/scientific icons are flat  representations of the instruments, process, functions of the mentioned field.No ,client have not given me any sizes..So asked in the forum ,if medical/scientific icons have any recommended preset sizes or not?

All I can say is that Icons tend to be square. Actual physical sizes range from 16 px to 256 px for screen representations and up to the size of the page or billboard for printed stuff. There are no hard and fast sizes.

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.1 | Affinity Photo 2.4.1 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.1 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

1 hour ago, SUBH said:

medical/scientific icons are flat  representations of the instruments, process, functions of the mentioned field.No ,client have not given me any sizes..So asked in the forum ,if medical/scientific icons have any recommended preset sizes or not?

Color or just black? 

Do they have layers, or are they flat?

Any grayscale or gradients?

How many icons?

It may be possible to put them in a font for ease of use and easy scaling.

On 8/31/2021 at 1:06 PM, NotMyFault said:

Even if i said it before:

Nobody else can say. We (the forum users) can only guess, assume, fool you, pretend to know.

Asking the client is not lack of expertise or something to be ashamed of. Just the opposite, it will shows that you take your job serious and do all required (and expected) on your side to fully deliver up to his expectations.

15 hours ago, Old Bruce said:

All I can say is that Icons tend to be square. Actual physical sizes range from 16 px to 256 px for screen representations and up to the size of the page or billboard for printed stuff. There are no hard and fast sizes.

Thanks.

13 hours ago, NotMyFault said:

Even if i said it before:

Nobody else can say. We (the forum users) can only guess, assume, fool you, pretend to know.

Asking the client is not lack of expertise or something to be ashamed of. Just the opposite, it will shows that you take your job serious and do all required (and expected) on your side to fully deliver up to his expectations.

Of course will do this,just that I don't look fool in form of the client giving them the icons in a wrong dimensions ,hence asked for some help in forum.

1 hour ago, SUBH said:

Of course will do this,just that I don't look fool in form of the client giving them the icons in a wrong dimensions ,hence asked for some help in forum.

Nice that you are aware of these things but as @NotMyFault has already mentioned the client would/should have a brief outlining the images they want and their specifications, but, it's always good to ask here for guidance and notmyfault is giving good advice.

Sometimes the client may not actually know what they want and that is where your knowledge and expertise comes into play, the hard part is getting that expertise so that you can go to a client and be confident. Instead of avoiding the client discussion, go full in with questions to "hone in" on what they need even if this is after a meeting or discussion, if you don't ask, you will never know. You can go back with the premise of focusing in on the new icon framework, maybe even suggest a few alternative avenues for their use, such as products, promotional items etc Market your skills and make the job bigger, but never over-sell yourself or go beyond the remit of your skill set.

If they ask for colour icons only, always produce a black and a white version too, I guarantee they will ask for them at some point.

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  
B| (Please refrain from licking the screen while using this forum)

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

You may create a small set (1—3) of example shapes, and export them in all formats and multiple sizes as recommended before.

Then use these in the discussion with the client as example / choices to be made, to ask which format he prefers ( one vector and one pixel based), and what size (only 1 or 2, e.g. small / large).

The color palette (number and exact specification of colors) must be discussed, too.

Do not provide too many examples. Make a suitable preselection.

6 minutes ago, NotMyFault said:

You may create a small set (1—3) of example shapes, and export them in all formats and multiple sizes as recommended before.

Then use these in the discussion with the client as example / choices to be made, to ask which format he prefers ( one vector and one pixel based), and what size (only 1 or 2, e.g. small / large).

The color palette (number and exact specification of colors) must be discussed, too.

sure, many thanks.

On 9/2/2021 at 2:53 PM, NotMyFault said:

Hi,

My client needs the scientific icons to be used on powerpoint presentation slides. So ,please let me know what dimensions should the icons be delivered to the client for their powerpoint presentations.

@SUBH

Please stop spamming the forum with identical copies of the same post!!!  As I write this there are 6 identical posts in this thread!

You absolutely need to ask your client for more details of their requirements, as already explained to you.  A logo on a PowerPoint slide might be placed, at a small size, in one area of the slide, or might be required sometimes to effectively "fill" the slide.  In such circumstances it might be possible for you to produce one version of the logo, in a format which is scalable (i.e., can be enlarged or shrunk without quality loss) but your client may actually require you to create those different sizes.

Win 10 Pro, i7 6700K, 32Gb RAM, NVidia GTX1660 Ti and Intel HD530 Graphics

Long-time user of Serif products, chiefly PagePlus and PhotoPlus, but also WebPlus, CraftArtistProfessional and DrawPlus.  Delighted to be using Affinity Designer, Photo, and now Publisher, version 1 and now version 2.

iPad Pro (12.9") (iOS 17.4) running Affinity Photo and Designer version 1 and all three version 2 apps.

@SUBH

My intention was to ask those individually

OK, understood!

If you wish to respond to a particular user then simply type @ and, without any gap, start to type his/her forum name.  A drop-down list of names will then appear, simply click on the correct one for that user.  This process, called tagging, will then draw that user's attention to your post. 

In your case, you could have tagged all those individuals in one single post, thus not needing to post the same thing six times!  Whether or not you tag someone ALL posts to the forum are visible to ALL users unless, for some reason, the poster decides to hide his/her post(s).  I think it might be advisable if you hid five of your six repeat posts; to do this click on the ellipse (the three dots) at the top right corner of any of your own posts and choose the option "Hide".  Doing so, will mena that you are no longer viewed as a potential spammer  👍

Win 10 Pro, i7 6700K, 32Gb RAM, NVidia GTX1660 Ti and Intel HD530 Graphics

Long-time user of Serif products, chiefly PagePlus and PhotoPlus, but also WebPlus, CraftArtistProfessional and DrawPlus.  Delighted to be using Affinity Designer, Photo, and now Publisher, version 1 and now version 2.

iPad Pro (12.9") (iOS 17.4) running Affinity Photo and Designer version 1 and all three version 2 apps.

1 minute ago, emmrecs01 said:

@SUBH

OK, understood!

If you wish to respond to a particular user then simply type @ and, without any gap, start to type his/her forum name.  A drop-down list of names will then appear, simply click on the correct one for that user.  This process, called tagging, will then draw that user's attention to your post. 

In your case, you could have tagged all those individuals in one single post, thus not needing to post the same thing six times!  Whether or not you tag someone ALL posts to the forum are visible to ALL users unless, for some reason, the poster decides to hide his/her post(s).  I think it might be advisable if you hid five of your six repeat posts; to do this click on the ellipse (the three dots) at the top right corner of any of your own posts and choose the option "Hide".  Doing so, will mena that you are no longer viewed as a potential spammer  👍

OK, appreciate your advice.

49 minutes ago, SUBH said:

Hi,

My client needs the scientific icons to be used on powerpoint presentation slides. So ,please let me know what dimensions should the icons be delivered to the client for their powerpoint presentations.

For a full screen icon full HD (1080px wide) should be ok. 

For icons used in combination with regular text, 256px might be ok.

Just create a sample PowerPoint file on your own and check visually if the quality looks ok when you put the icons in there. 
Check what happens if you scale icons (adjust size) in PowerPoint. If shapes becomes blurry, or icon details become too small to be detected, consider adjusting dimensions in Affinity, or simplify icon design. 

1 hour ago, SUBH said:

Hi,

Size is irrelevant. Scalability is key. So when you export to SVG all is good. So you have to make sure; either your stokes will scale with object or are expanded strokes=color filled shapes.