You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Timelapse with controls

After trying out procreate recently, I found the timelapse export feature to be a nice feature. I see from research that this functionality was once in a few betas of affinity apps, but got dropped. Here’s an official request that it be put back on the table, but with the ability to trim and possibly set speed of the video before export. Thanks 

iPad Pro 12.9 M1/Mac Mini M1, in that order

• 4 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
3 minutes ago, GermanG said:

Hi Affinity team, any updates on this request? Is this in your roadmap/features pipeline?

Serif (Affinity team) does not comment of requesting functions on the principle, and he certainly does not promise anything.

Affinity Store (MSI/EXE): Affinity Suite (ADe, APh, APu) 2.4.0.2301
Dell OptiPlex 7060, i5-8500 3.00 GHz, 16 GB, Intel UHD Graphics 630, Dell P2417H 1920 x 1080, Windows 11 Pro, Version 23H2, Build 22631.3155.
Dell Latitude E5570, i5-6440HQ 2.60 GHz, 8 GB, Intel HD Graphics 530, 1920 x 1080, Windows 11 Pro, Version 23H2, Build 22631.3155.
Intel NUC5PGYH, Pentium N3700 2.40 GHz, 8 GB, Intel HD Graphics, EIZO EV2456 1920 x 1200, Windows 10 Pro, Version 21H1, Build 19043.2130.

9 minutes ago, CleverFox2 said:

That’s disappointing

This Serif approach is caused by the behavior/reactions of some users, who interpreted the statements of the developpers in their own way (incorrectly), and raised unfulfilled expectations in them.

Dell OptiPlex 7060, i5-8500 3.00 GHz, 16 GB, Intel UHD Graphics 630, Dell P2417H 1920 x 1080, Windows 11 Pro, Version 23H2, Build 22631.3155.
Dell Latitude E5570, i5-6440HQ 2.60 GHz, 8 GB, Intel HD Graphics 530, 1920 x 1080, Windows 11 Pro, Version 23H2, Build 22631.3155.
Intel NUC5PGYH, Pentium N3700 2.40 GHz, 8 GB, Intel HD Graphics, EIZO EV2456 1920 x 1200, Windows 10 Pro, Version 21H1, Build 19043.2130.

The reason it was removed was because it simply was not even close to being ready. When I was testing the feature at the time there were multiple issues with it that could not just be solved with a flick of the switch.

- The export settings were broken with tons of encoding artefacts across all settings. It just did not look good.

- On Windows you couldn't even export with specific settings because it required an encoding library that is not even native on many Windows versions.

- The camera options were limited and did not work work well with Artboards and large canvases. If you wanted the video to follow your brush strokes the camera would sporadically jump all over the place and you could just not keep track of what was going on. The camera would zoom in super far if you did small brush strokes, so you couldn't see the rest of the painting. If you were painting across several Artboards the camera would jump from canvas to canvas while being zoomed in a ton, thus disorienting the viewer.

- If you disabled the camera following your brush strokes it would record every Artboard at the same time, thus making everything look small (no way to direct the camera or decide the zoom level).

- There was no way of cutting stuff out in the timeline to decide where you wanted to start or stop recording. It only recorded the entire timeline and this was a big problem if you had literally thousands of history states to record from. Since you couldn't preview the results of your recording, you would have to wait for the recording to finish completely to have an idea if it was better or worse in quality.

- No way to cancel the rendering of a video in a simple way. Once you hit that record button, the entire program started to freeze and you would have to wait.

- It was very unstable and crashed a lot.

- Rendering took very long to finish, even if the document was very simple like line art on a single layer.

So yeah, it was removed for a good reason. Hopefully they revisit the idea someday since it is indeed pretty cool to have, but it has to address the problems it had before it should be even considered for an official release.

Here is also a recording I made using the feature with the best settings that were available:

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/29/2022 at 10:11 AM, Pšenda said:

This Serif approach is caused by the behavior/reactions of some users, who interpreted the statements of the developpers in their own way (incorrectly), and raised unfulfilled expectations in them

more like affinity was inexplicably taking years (nearly a decade now) to accomplish what should have been done in a 3-4 years. To be fair to affinity, they did decide to spend significant time overhauling their code and that was not on the roadmap.

Affinity removed the road map when they did not want to be held to that update standard. The fact that users are becoming disgruntled is because of affinity's glacial pace of improving their apps. Hopefully there will be big updates released this summer alongside the publisher for iPad release

1 hour ago, Boldlinedesign said:

they did decide to spend significant time overhauling their code and that was not on the roadmap.

As far as I know, Affinity applications are only about complete code reworking (as opposed to Plus application legacy), which was planned and presented.

Affinity removed the road map when they did not want to be held to that update standard.

"Update standard" - what is it? Where and how is it defined?
As far as I know, Roadmaps have always been about topics / features, not about the time frame in which the features will be implemented.

Hopefully there will be big updates released this summer alongside the publisher for iPad release

This precisely points to the fact, that users place any mentions and information into a certain time frame (perhaps correctly, perhaps completely incorrectly).
It is known that the Publisher version for the iPad is about to be released (Serif has already presented that), but that a "big" updates (do you mean version 2.0?) Is also planned at this date, I have not yet noticed here on the forum.
I may be surprised - but personally I would not expect a "simultaneous" release of a completely new application for the iPad and completely new major updates, because it is the most complicated option from the point of view of solving labor pains.

@Pšenda you may not be aware that you can criticize and point out obvious faults in affinity's methods and choices and still love and appreciate their software. The two are not mutually exclusive. 

Why yourself and others blindly defend affinity so vigorously and give them a free pass for everything is beyond me. 

I can't imagine what else affinity has been doing the last couple years if the only thing they release this summer is the iPad publisher app. What are the other teams doing? Affinity is going to need cashflow at some point and it would make logical business sense to use this release of publisher for iPad as the chance to move everything to 2.0