You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Affinity Photo 1.10.1.1142 crashes

Hi there,

I just installed the latest Affinity Photo 1.10.1.1142
For a moment, it seemed to work better than the previous 1.10, but unfortunately it is still crashing a lot.

I'm on Windows 10, with dual 1080 ti

Here are the log, and dump files.

attachment_Log.txt c3ef8c45-e247-46e8-940c-21398cc608ca.dmp

Piero Desopo

Direction, Design <http://phoenixart.com>

Photography <http://www.pierodesopo.com>

Thanks @Gabe

I'm not sure what I should add to the post. Probably, the only information missing is that hardware acceleration is on?
Other than that, Nvidia drivers are updated to 471.68.

Below two screen captures. It works fine with the hardware acceleration off. 
Newer dump files, and log attached (there's only one log, as the other one is empty).

bf77abf9-a46b-4ea4-97a3-201f4c048807.dmp 173be138-d210-41e0-a718-6d90cf56f338.dmp attachment_Log.txt

Piero Desopo

@phoenixart 

Normally I always recommend updating drivers, but here I would suggest you to downgrade. To do this, however, you should/must completely uninstall the graphics card drivers. It is best to use DDU for this.

Here you can direct download

https://www.wagnardsoft.com/DDU/download/DDU v18.0.4.3.exe

AMD Ryzen 7 5700X | INTEL Arc A770 LE 16 GB  | 32 GB DDR4 3200MHz | Windows 11 Pro 23H2 (22631.3296)
AMD A10-9600P | dGPU R7 M340 (2 GB)  | 8 GB DDR4 2133 MHz | Windows 10 Home 22H2 (1945.3803) 

Affinity Suite V 2.4 & Beta 2.(latest)
Better translations with: https://www.deepl.com/translator  
Interested in a robust (selfhosted) PDF Solution? Have a look at Stirling PDF

Life is too short to have meaningless discussions!

Just to add: Also experience permanent freezes/crashes (rotating blue mouse pointer circle) since updating to .1142.

Hard to tell when - just seems like it's not connected to any specific action. Could happen after creating a few astro stacks, then simply clicking a different picture tab, or working with layers of IR photos - just didn't find any pattern, yet.

It's an IMMENSE nuisance losing all your work again and again.

Yes, hardware accelation is on. Has always been on, never did a single configuration change during the last year or so.

Specs: AMD Ryzen 7 2700X, 32 GB RAM, NVidia RTX 2070

• Staff
On 9/3/2021 at 7:03 PM, phoenixart said:

@GabeI'll go back to Affinity Photo 1.9.2 then. Hopefully, you'll find a fix for this issue.

Hey phoenixart,

Is there a reason you are rolling back to 1.9.2 as opposed to disabling OpenCL in 1.10.1?

I fear that this is simply a driver issue and there may be nothing for us to actually fix. Most graphics cards apart from some AMD cards that are 8 years old or newer should be supported by OpenCL - your 1080Ti certainly is.

17 hours ago, Chris B said:

Hey phoenixart,

Is there a reason you are rolling back to 1.9.2 as opposed to disabling OpenCL in 1.10.1?

I fear that this is simply a driver issue and there may be nothing for us to actually fix. Most graphics cards apart from some AMD cards that are 8 years old or newer should be supported by OpenCL - your 1080Ti certainly is.

@Chris B the thing is, the latest Designer and Publisher work fine here. It seems there's something going on with Photo specifically.  I also tried three or four different drivers with no luck.

Photo 1.9.2 works fine with hardware acceleration, which is why I went back to using that version.

I haven't checked the Designer or Publisher bugs section, but it seems several other users are reporting similar issues with Affinity Photo, that is why I assumed the developers would be looking into it. But if that's not the case, I think I'm stuck with 1.9.2.

Piero Desopo

• Staff

Ah so 1.9.2 works but 1.10.1 does not... That's surprising. I'd expect neither to work if OpenCL was at fault if I'm being honest. 

Many people report changing drivers doesn't fix it so they use something like DDU to remove all trace of the driver but that seems to have made no difference for you. 

I'll try and get some more advice from Dev. 

8 hours ago, Chris B said:

Ah so 1.9.2 works but 1.10.1 does not... That's surprising. I'd expect neither to work if OpenCL was at fault if I'm being honest.

I had the same experience, Chris.

Problems started after the latest update - previously, I had hardware acceleration on all the time, no problems.
But after the AP update I experienced crash after crash while OpenCL was on.
Then I updated NVidia drivers, which didn't change anything.

Crashes stopped after deactivating the OpenCL option, but some processes (like frequency separation) now just take longer than forever.

CORRECTION: AP just crashed while zooming - with OpenCL OFF!

hi, with the last update I was crashing too, I started the program, I opened a new document and affinity stopped immediately.
I tried to disable open ccl from affinity settings but the problem got worse, now the program doesn't even start anymore, even if I uninstall and reinstall old versions.
how can I solve this problem? before the last update it was fine, on the computer I have a gtx1050.
forgive my english

Crash again after I did the same thing I did for the crash I reported on September 8th - Zooming via Ctrl + mouse wheel.

There was NO crash report (DMP file). Not while Photo was hanging, not after terminating Photo using Task Manager, not after restarting Photo.

There's pretty some DMP files in the folder, but nothing documenting the latest crash.

Add: Some strange secondary effects after restarting AP.

1. First right-click on the Layers list on the right side opened the context menu on the LEFT side of the screen, just below the Files menu. Happened only once, after that the menu permanently was back on the right side.

2. Hardware acceleration switched BACK ON. I updated the graphics card drivers after the first restart, then wished to switch on hardware acceleration to check if the new drivers solved the crash problem. And found the option ticked already. Yes, it had been off. Otherwise my AP installation wouldn't have survived three of four editing steps - had been the only remedy against that constant crashes.
I left it switched on - and no crashes till now. I experienced some "digestion issues", everything slowing down, freezing like hanging, but then AP recovered.

No, I don't drink, I also did not consume any drugs. :D

• Staff
On 9/19/2021 at 10:31 AM, Jörn Reppenhagen said:

1. First right-click on the Layers list on the right side opened the context menu on the LEFT side of the screen, just below the Files menu. Happened only once, after that the menu permanently was back on the right side.

1. I've had this from time to time in other apps too - I think it can happen mostly with multiple monitor setups.

2. The only way I can think this would have reset itself is if the app was reset or lost its AppData. Other than that, I couldn't say what else may have changed that...

Chris: So I can stop thinking about spending a fortune on a psychologist. :D

1. Indeed, I use a 3 monitors + VR setup - but I never experienced that brazen context menu desertion to the left wing before. Had been a first with Affinity.

2. Also my thoughts. But I just didn't change anything of the configuration during the last weeks, except redefining the keys for increasing/decreasing the brush size for mask refinement.

The good thing: AP didn't crash or permanently hang anymore, even with hardware acceleration on. There are occasional "hickups" with my case fans turning up violently, indicating a high CPU load over one or two seconds, but then AP recovers. I don't remember noticing that behavior before; maybe it's the update, maybe my hardware acceleration is still off while the config shows it's on - who knows. :)

Only crashes I experienced happened when zooming in fast and deep with Ctrl + mouse wheel.

• Staff

Do you have any selections active when you zoom with the mousewheel?

Active selections on the Windows version can consume a lot of CPU power because I think they are refreshing too fast compared to the macOS version.

• 2 months later...