You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Tired of Affinity Photo crashing/freezing. Is anyone else getting this more frequently?

I am using 1.9.2.1035 because the 1.10 update kept crashing no matter what settings I had.

I am averaging about 2-3 crashes per photomanipulation session - both with hardware acceleration on and off. I am not sure where to find the Dump files after a crash otherwise I'd post them. Is anyone else having this issue? Designer does not seem to have this issue but Photo has been for a while now and it is starting to get old at this point.

Windows 10

Nvidia SUPER RTX 2070

This is the most unstable version of Affinity Photo and I've been a user for a good while.

If I have one 4096x2048 image open with maybe 30+ pixel layers my PC's RAM goes straight to 100% freezing the program. I need to point out I have 64 GB of RAM lol. Even in super large affinity files in the past versions I wouldn't even have 50% of my RAM used. Something is definitely off with this version. I hope they can fix it soon.

I also have Windows 10, Nvidia SUPER RTX 2070 too but its my RAM that seems to be skyrocketing for me.

3 hours ago, Videowolff said:

I am not sure where to find the Dump files after a crash otherwise I'd post them.

You can find them here

Affinity Photo 2.4..; Affinity Designer 2.4..; Affinity Publisher 2.4..; Affinity2 Beta versions. Affinity Photo,Designer 1.10.6.1605 Win10 Home Version:21H2, Build: 19044.1766: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-5820K CPU @ 3.30GHz, 3301 Mhz, 6 Core(s), 12 Logical Processor(s);32GB Ram, Nvidia GTX 3070, 3-Internal HDD (1 Crucial MX5000 1TB, 1-Crucial MX5000 500GB, 1-WD 1 TB), 4 External HDD

Same here, the program doesn't seem to free memory after you close a file, it has been like this since 1.8.x. I haven't used Photoshop since 2019 because at the time APhoto was much much faster; but I gave Photoshop another shot since I was growing frustrated with APhoto because it has become very slow and unstable, so for the past week I've done all my work in Photoshop and honestly I will stay there until AP fixes this horrible performance introduced since the hardware acceleration update.

I have no crashes so far nor freezing. So I do't know why some people have this.

Windows 11 (Home)-build: 23H2- build 22631.2715
-  64 bits. 
11e generatie Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-11700K @ 32,60GHz.
Ram: 80 GB  DDR4 -3200 Mhz-  34" breedbeeld
GpuGeforce 3060 -12GB  OC-studiodriver: 537-58 - XP-Pen star03 -
mastodon.nl /@digitalvisuals - website:  digitalvisuals.nl

Affinity Photo2 - Designer 1.10-  Publisher 1.10 - ArtRage 6 - Lumina Aurora - ArtRage.

• Staff

Hi all,

I appreciate you reporting this, but none of you are saying what do you do when it's crashing.

If turning off Hardware Acceleration fixed your issue, please comment here with your PC specs and GPU driver version. 

If turning off Hardware Acceleration didn't fix your issue, can you all create a separate thread following this guide and we can have a look. https://forum.affinity.serif.com/index.php?/forum/71-bug-reporting/

For years I have been an ardent supporter of Affinity Photo. However, I have to confess that with this latest upgrade, 1.1.01.1142, for the first time, I've been an unhappy camper. I have noticed very slow response to my actions. Sticks, and delays. I'll move a clip, and have to wait for the clip to actually move. It gets worse the longer I'm in the program. I'll resize a clip, and nothing happens for some time, 30 sec to a minute. AP is becoming unworkable. I'm using Win 11. And I can't find the option to disable graphics acceleration on my computer. Finally, after some use, the app sometimes just goes off into never never land, and I have to reboot. It is not good when using a program only causes intrepidation, and fear. Hopefully, the devs are aware of this major problem and will address it in the next upgrade.

6 minutes ago, ReggiePLS said:

For years I have been an ardent supporter of Affinity Photo. However, I have to confess that with this latest upgrade, 1.1.01.1142, for the first time, I've been an unhappy camper. I have noticed very slow response to my actions. Sticks, and delays. I'll move a clip, and have to wait for the clip to actually move. It gets worse the longer I'm in the program. I'll resize a clip, and nothing happens for some time, 30 sec to a minute. AP is becoming unworkable. I'm using Win 11. And I can't find the option to disable graphics acceleration on my computer. Finally, after some use, the app sometimes just goes off into never never land, and I have to reboot. It is not good when using a program only causes intrepidation, and fear. Hopefully, the devs are aware of this major problem and will address it in the next upgrade.

OpenCL you can find in preferances/performens where you choose on or off

Windows 11 (Home)-build: 23H2- build 22631.2715
-  64 bits. 
11e generatie Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-11700K @ 32,60GHz.
Ram: 80 GB  DDR4 -3200 Mhz-  34" breedbeeld
GpuGeforce 3060 -12GB  OC-studiodriver: 537-58 - XP-Pen star03 -
mastodon.nl /@digitalvisuals - website:  digitalvisuals.nl

Affinity Photo2 - Designer 1.10-  Publisher 1.10 - ArtRage 6 - Lumina Aurora - ArtRage.

I bought and installed AF v 1.10.1.1141 about a month ago and the software constantly crashes.  I can work in the program for about 10 minutes on average, and typically only have google chrome and msft outlook open beyond AF.  I looked at a list of known conflicting software, and dont have any of them installed.  Can anyone give me any guidance as to where to look next for the conflict?

I thought it was fixed, but problem with hanging is back. Turning off acceleration is fixing it so this is definitely acceleration fault.

Heres my system:

Affinity Photo 1.10.1.1142
GTX 1070, GeForce Game Ready Driver Version 471.96
Windows 10, Version 20H2 (OS Build 19042.1165)

Heres when this happens to me exactly - I have big photo, I cut out shape out of this photo and copy/paste it to another project. Then duplicating it, grouping and resizing/rotating. Crash. Inevitably.

No, I will not use "Studio" drivers - everything else is working good on this drivers - including much more complex software - Maya with Arnold renderer. So if these are good for Arnold should be good for Affinity Photo too.
Much luck in fixing it.
It is annoying, not going to lie, but I do imagine its even more annoying to dev team to get these reports...
I remember when pen tool was causing constant crashes too and you have fixed it 100%. So I do believe you will be successful once more this time.

Kinda unusable for me here, too.

Crashes seemingly randomly but I think mostly when selecting, moving, managing items in Layers.

I've attached Event viewer log, and the Report.wer file that the log refers to.
Hopefully that will help and happy to share any other information.

Hope you guys can fix the stability ASAP. It's kinda unusable in its current state. :(

b27d839e117afd6bece90d1740af40c4.png

Affinity Photo crashes.evtx Report.wer