You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

[AP 1.10] Regression: Crop ratio not remembered anymore

Vylmen

Any photo now defaults to unconstrained and exact pixel ratio as opposed to last ratio used. This is a huge decay in UX for me, since >80% of my use of AP deals with the same crop ratio. Please reconsider this decision if it was a conscious choice.

29 minutes ago, Vylmen said:

Is there a way to downgrade?

Where did you purchase the application from, Mac App Store or Serif Affinity Store?

If you purchased direct from Serif, you can download the older versions at https://affinity.store/update/macos/photo/1 but if you purchased from Apple you can only downgrade by using a TimeMachine or similar backup.

29 minutes ago, Vylmen said:

This is unworkable for me.

Out of curiosity, how many times a day are you cropping, and how many extra clicks is it? What Crop Ratio are you trying to use?

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

Mac Store I'm afraid.

Exception aside, I mostly crop, rotate and clone (to fill up sides that were rotated away). To be specific: pictures from actors / actresses for resources like TMDB, in 2:3 ratio, focused on the face (rotation is used here to align the eyes for better recognizability) and 16:9 for episode/film screenshots.

It's not my full time job, it's something I do 1-3 hours a day and more on weekends to contribute to resources I use myself.

As for clicks:

Old version:

• Drop in photo from Finder
  • Click crop tool or press C
  • Now I can crop at last remembered ratio

New version:

• Click dropdown to change from unconstrained to custom ratio
  • Click width, select all and press 2
  • tab to select height and press 3
  • Now I can crop at 2:3

Do this 10 times a night and you're quite frustrated if you're used to the old version.

12 minutes ago, Vylmen said:

New version:

• Click dropdown to change from unconstrained to custom ratio
  • Click width, select all and press 2
  • tab to select height and press 3
  • Now I can crop at 2:3

Do this 10 times a night and you're quite frustrated if you're used to the old version.

Understandable that you'd feel frustrated.

You can simplify that a bit by creating a 2:3 Crop preset. When you have set it to Custom Ratio, and set it to 2 and 3, click the Cog, then the Hamburger menu, then Create Preset. Give it a name and leave the Category unspecified. Your Preset will be at the top of the list for use the next time, and you simply click the Cog, then click your Preset, and you're good to go.

-- Walt
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.

Thank you, appreciated. I never clicked/noticed the cog, cause cog to me are settings and presets are in the realm of favourites/bookmarks.

Still, the window is preset window is quite big and once you select a preset it doesn't go out of the way.

It's a bit better, but the bug report stands: the old way didn't need  "fixing" and is still much faster. :) Tbh, I cannot understand what the improvement is of the new behaviour, so I can only assume it was optimized away without knowing the consequences.

8 minutes ago, Vylmen said:

Still, the window is preset window is quite big and once you select a preset it doesn't go out of the way.

In that case click the Cog again :)

-- Walt
PC:

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...