You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Is the White Balance Tool In The Photo Persona Defective?

An individual that posts in another phtography forum that I frequent claims that if a file in transferred from the Develop Persona to the Photo Persona without White Balance being corrected there first (in the Develop Persona), when it's a RAW File, that the WB tool in the adjustment panel is worthless and cannot truly adjust WB.  This person is said to be a computer expert of long experience and is very convincing in his postings.

However, I find it difficult to believe that Serif would not have fixed such a defect at some point during the several years of Affinity Photo's existence.  And it seems to me that on the infrequent occaisons I use that tool in the Photo Persona to adjust WB in a file it does so and doesn't just adjust color cast as this person claims.

So what is the truth of this matter?  Any input would be much appreciated. 

3 hours ago, Wanderer3 said:

And it seems to me that on the infrequent occaisons I use that tool in the Photo Persona to adjust WB in a file it does so and doesn't just adjust color cast as this person claims.

What kind of difference do you or this person assume, see or understand between WB and "just adjust color cast" ?

The two WB interfaces work slightly different in the photo vs. develop persona. While only develop mode applies/displays an automatic setting with its sliders set according to the image the photo persona always starts with its sliders set to zero, regardless of the image. Nevertheless you can achieve the same visual result in both personas.

A more relevant difference might be a general one between developer vs photo persona, affecting all changes done in develop mode, not WB only: Whereas the WB set in develop mode gets "burned" into the image and is destructive this way when switching to the photo persona, a WB set in photo mode may remain a layer of its own, remains editable, can get deactivated and you may even apply several WB layers (though its hardly useful).

macOS 10.14.6 | MacBookPro Retina 15" | Eizo 27" | Affinity V1

The person quoted from the other forum definitely feels there is a major difference between adjusting White Balance and adjusting color cast.  Thank you for the reply.  As I see it, "you can achieve the same visual result in both personas" as you stated but he believes very differenty.  Thanks again, your input is much appreciated.