You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Hide Export file extensions

I may create ten new png files in an hour when creating chord diagrams.  Good fun individually removing the extension from each one. According to Apple, from the  link you provided:

"Filename extensions are usually hidden in OS X, but if you find them useful, you can show them. If extensions are hidden, OS X still opens files with the proper apps."

I wonder why Affinity wants to buck that trend? 

Where in System Preferences (El Capitan) are you finding this? Perhaps you are refering to "Show all filename extensions" which is found in the Advanced panel of the Finder Preferences? I have this turned off but still Designer has its way with attaching the visible extension name.

Even if this did supress the visible extension, I would much rather control this option from particular apps so I'm not forced into an all-or-nothing.

• Staff

Are you using Designer or Photo? How are you exporting the images ie File -> Export or using the export persona? I will need to look into it to see why we don't honour that setting.

As a rule, it should always use that setting unless you are overwriting a file. In that case, it should always use the existing files setting. You can manually set the hidden extension flag for now by right clicking the file, choose 'Get Info', then check the 'Hide Extension' checkbox.

I'm working with Designer in Draw Persona. Saving is via File > Export.

I just tried a couple tests, I get the extension with a JPEG as well. I also get the extension when outputting from Expert Persona but I have very little experience in this mode; I selected a Preset and clicked Export Selected.

OS 10.11.1, mid 2015 iMac

• 6 months later...

Just purchased AP. Question: Is there no way in the Save, Save As and Export dialogues to select to show or hide the filetype extension? We routinely Save/Export a variety of file types with the exact same filename, so absolutely need the file extension showing on about 98% of our workload so that we can upload/use the right file for the intended purpose. With what I'm seeing, it appears that AP ALWAYS eliminates the file type extension with no option to show it. 

Already aware of changing 100% of the contents of the computer, but that's not a realistic option, nor is the option to individually turn on Show Extension for each of the dozens of files created each day. Just curious if, as a new user, I am overlooking something very simple to do what we need for our workflow.

--------------------

iMac (Retina 5K, 27-inch, 2020 i7 72GB) • AMD Radeon Pro 5700 XT 16 GB • macOS Ventura
MacBook Pro, 13", M1 2020 • 16 GB • macOS Ventura
iPad Air 2022

Thanks. Thought it might be somewhere. Just couldn't find it!

--------------------

iMac (Retina 5K, 27-inch, 2020 i7 72GB) • AMD Radeon Pro 5700 XT 16 GB • macOS Ventura
MacBook Pro, 13", M1 2020 • 16 GB • macOS Ventura
iPad Air 2022