You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

File Save Dialog

MaxClass

Publisher 1.10.1. The File Save Dialog used to have the name section highlighted what a Save, Save as…, Export, etc. option was selected allowing for the immediate pasting in of a preselected file name.

This option was possibly accidentally removed beginning with Publisher 1.10.

I would like to see it re-established if at all possible. As a long time Mac programmer I know this is not difficult to resurrect.

MaxClass

OS X Ventura 13.0.1, Mac Studio M1 Max, 27" Apple Studio Display, 32 GB SSD. Affinity Universal License for 2.0.

Mac User & Programmer since 1985 to date. Author of “SignPost” for vinyl sign cutting.

This is starting to really bother me. It is present in all three applications... or is that absent?

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.1 | Affinity Photo 2.4.1 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.1 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

Obviously, I’ve made a mistake but I have noticed that all three applications which used to have the file name auto-selected not longer do on using a “Save as…” or “Export” option.

I can only assume that the same “Save” dialog code is used in all three application for the sake of code integrity.

If this thread needs to be moved that is fine with me. I’m only presenting the problem. I do a lot of documents with embedded file names in them and being able to select the file name prior to doing a “Save as…”, like after doing a Data Merge, and being able to simply paste in the copied file name, rather than having to select out the default name and paste in the Copied name is not optimal and so easily fixed.

Thank to Serif for these amazing applications. It makes my life so much easier.

OS X Ventura 13.0.1, Mac Studio M1 Max, 27" Apple Studio Display, 32 GB SSD. Affinity Universal License for 2.0.

Mac User & Programmer since 1985 to date. Author of “SignPost” for vinyl sign cutting.

5 hours ago, SPaceBar said:

Did you mean to say Publisher or Designer? Just checking as this is the Designer forum and I've looked back at earlier versions of Publisher and I've been unable to see this option already selected.

I'm wondering if this is macOS specific, as in, I'm not experiencing the issue in 1.10.1. If I do a Save As or an Export, the dialogue window shows as Untitled.afpub or Untitled.pdf with Untitled already highlighted so either typing or pasting a filename from the clipboard will overwrite Untitled with no user intervention.

The only obvious difference I can see is that I'm using macOS 10.14.6 and both you and @Old Bruce appear to be running macOS 11.5.2, just a thought but equally if it is working correctly with other apps under macOS 11.5.2, then that may negate my thought on this.

Affinity Designer 2.4.2 | Affinity Photo 2.4.2 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.2
Affinity Designer  Beta 2.5.0 (2402) | Affinity Photo Beta 2.5.0 (2402) | Affinity Publisher Beta 2.5.0 (2402)

Affinity Designer 1.7.3 | Affinity Photo 1.7.3 | Affinity Publisher 1.10.8
MacBook Pro 16GB, macOS Monterey 12.7.4, Magic Mouse

@MaxClass@Hangman Notes & Numbers appears to have the highlighted text on macOS 11.4 but when I checked Publisher on lots of versions and Designer on 1.10.1 it doesn't. I then looked at Designer 1.10.1 on macOS 10.12.6 and it's highlighted.

It seems to be relevant to the OS but does not affect all apps on the OS universally. If that makes sense. I will gather up the OS's that are seeing this issue and get it logged.