You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Height & Width should have indicator when resizing document or canvas.

I must admit I do find it odd that there isn't a simple "H" and "W" to indicate which measurement is which. (Apparently which way round height and width are normally listed depends on which country you are in, but it doesn't seem to be a hard and fast rule!)

Acer XC-895 : Core i5-10400 Hexa-core 2.90 GHz :  32GB RAM : Intel UHD Graphics 630 : Windows 10 Home
Affinity Publisher 2 : Affinity Photo 2 : Affinity Designer 2 : (latest release versions) on desktop and iPad

This seems a bit too much nannying  to me.

At least Affinity is consequent and always uses x first and y second.

If you start that route, you may need the explicit information that x is counted from left to right, and y is counted from top to bottom, too.

And that Affinity is using square pixels (no round, no rectangular with different aspect ration) etc.

Mac mini M1 A2348 | Windows 10 - AMD Ryzen 9 5900x - 32 GB RAM - Nvidia GTX 1080

LG34WK950U-W, calibrated to DCI-P3 with LG Calibration Studio / Spider 5

iPad Air Gen 5 (2022) A2589

Special interest into procedural texture filter, edit alpha channel, RGB/16 and RGB/32 color formats, stacking, finding root causes for misbehaving files, finding creative solutions for unsolvable tasks, finding bugs in Apps.

22 minutes ago, NotMyFault said:

I 'm not sure it's "nannying" to provide a simple indication next to these boxes in the same way as in the Transform tab. Maybe, for consistency, those should be removed!

22 minutes ago, NotMyFault said:

If you start that route, you may need the explicit information that x is counted from left to right, and y is counted from top to bottom, too.

And that Affinity is using square pixels (no round, no rectangular with different aspect ration) etc.

Bluntly this is just being silly, it's not about which way x and y (or H and W) go, it's about which of two boxes to put the information in. Yes you can easily work it out, but it just makes life a little easier for some of us, and I really can't see what harm it would do anyone else.

Acer XC-895 : Core i5-10400 Hexa-core 2.90 GHz :  32GB RAM : Intel UHD Graphics 630 : Windows 10 Home
Affinity Publisher 2 : Affinity Photo 2 : Affinity Designer 2 : (latest release versions) on desktop and iPad

30 minutes ago, NotMyFault said:

At least Affinity is consequent and always uses x first and y second.

I don't know about you, but I find it necessary/must to add the indication right before each box. If that makes the user's life much easier then why not adding them!

1 hour ago, PaulEC said:

I 'm not sure it's "nannying" to provide a simple indication next to these boxes in the same way as in the Transform tab. Maybe, for consistency, those should be removed!

The issue for me is that it could introduce an enormous level of redundancy if you really want to add X/ Y at every place.

Just start with the image provided by @th_studio

AfD_H&W.png

In addition to be marked area, there is another box on top “Page Preset” where the X/Y label must be added.

For me (this is only a personal preference) I find it redundant, superfluous and disturbing. You have other preferences, which is ok.

Regarding transfer panel (screenshot from iPad)

the panel shows 3 rows of input values. It makes sense to use the shortest possible label ( X / Y) at that instance to distinguish between dimensions, position,  rotation / shear. Otherwise the risk of editing in the wrong row would be high. If the transfer panel would showing only size or position, I could live without these labels.

24F8E707-FF78-4F3F-AA15-6C0DF0777E7F.jpeg.6174f2d7b9cc376e7ccd32f5600c5454.jpeg

Mac mini M1 A2348 | Windows 10 - AMD Ryzen 9 5900x - 32 GB RAM - Nvidia GTX 1080

LG34WK950U-W, calibrated to DCI-P3 with LG Calibration Studio / Spider 5

iPad Air Gen 5 (2022) A2589

Special interest into procedural texture filter, edit alpha channel, RGB/16 and RGB/32 color formats, stacking, finding root causes for misbehaving files, finding creative solutions for unsolvable tasks, finding bugs in Apps.

On 8/27/2021 at 5:26 PM, th_studio said:

To be honest, I prefer H and W to be there. Position and h/w value are not same (I believe you know this). I've used pretty much all the popular design software, all of them have indications for height and width.

I've only just noticed that if you hover your mouse over the boxes you get a pop-up telling you which is width and which is height! But I still agree that it would be handy just to have a W and H in front of the boxes. :)