You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Mult-layer EXR not importing correctly

Mike_A

Alert:  Experienced worker - but AP newbie : )

AP 1.10.1 / Windows 10 /64

I want to use AP to edit multi-layer exr exports from a 3D CGI software. The EXR files typically contain up to 15 layers of information. Each of those layers contain full RGB data.

I've attached a test file for your experimentation. +

When AP imports these files it:
Treats the first layer as an RGB layer = 'Layer one (pixel)'
Treats all the other layers as though they were individual colour channels, rather than composite RGB layers...
, ie:
Layer two [blue] (Pixel)
Layer two [green] (Pixel)
Layer two [red] (Pixel)

So I end up with 43 layers, rather than 15...

Am I missing some preference or other setting here?

EDIT:
The file was generated by Maxon Cinema 4D version R21.  The renderer in use was 'Redshift', but the file saving mechanism is through C4D itself using the 'Multi-pass' rendering option.

----------

What should happen:
AP needs to interpret these files correctly - importing them with RGB layers - not individual greyscale channels.

----------

This is more than a little disappointing as I purchased AP specifically to work on these types of files. The help manual claims that it can.

Rs_test_scene_210826_main_MP_.exr

Edited by Mike_A
More information added

Thank you Chris,
If this is the 'current design' there really seems to be a misunderstanding of how these files are intended to be used.

The standard for professional CGI compositing these days is 32bit EXR.
AP has decent overall support for 32bit and OCIO / ACES etc - but if it can't open the relevant files in a sensible way all that is for nothing.

These files should be opened just like a standard layered Photoshop file, ie: a number of RGB layers.

If you need any further example files or info please ask.

PS:  I suspect that this has 'cropped up a number of times recently' due to the shift to Open Color IO (OCIO) and Academy Color Encoding System (ACES) as the preferred standard for professional video and CGI colour management. OCIO / ACES are 32bit workflows - and 32bit EXR's are the standard file format for that.
Photoshop has poor support for OCIO and ACES - but it does open EXR's correctly : )  It will be to your competitive advantage to get this import mis-step fixed asap...

Your developers may also want to look at https://www.exr-io.com/   for inspiration on what you should be offering with regard to EXR import features.

Chris - an important update:
I've generated another EXR using a different method of saving - and that has imported correctly. File attached.

So, it seems the issue is probably with the EXR generated by Maxon C4D - my original sample file posted above.
If you could pass this info to your devs that would be helpful.

Let me explain how these files are generated:

The 3D program is Cinema 4D (C4D). The rendering engine is 'Redshift' (https://www.redshift3d.com/).
There are two routes to saving a multi-layer EXR in this set up:

1. Via C4D's built in multi-pass file saving system - my first sample file that did not import correctly.
or
2. Through Redshift's 'direct' system of file saving - file attached to this post, which did import correctly.

Both of these files import correctly into all the other software I use: Photoshop, After Effects, Blackmagic Fusion, etc.
But AP seems to have difficulty with the file saved from the C4D multi-pass system.

I hope this helps.

Rs_test_scene_210827_Rs DIRECT.exr

• 3 weeks later...
On 8/27/2021 at 5:18 PM, Mike_A said:

Chris - an important update:
I've generated another EXR using a different method of saving - and that has imported correctly. File attached.

So, it seems the issue is probably with the EXR generated by Maxon C4D - my original sample file posted above.
If you could pass this info to your devs that would be helpful.

Let me explain how these files are generated:

The 3D program is Cinema 4D (C4D). The rendering engine is 'Redshift' (https://www.redshift3d.com/).
There are two routes to saving a multi-layer EXR in this set up:

1. Via C4D's built in multi-pass file saving system - my first sample file that did not import correctly.
or
2. Through Redshift's 'direct' system of file saving - file attached to this post, which did import correctly.

Both of these files import correctly into all the other software I use: Photoshop, After Effects, Blackmagic Fusion, etc.
But AP seems to have difficulty with the file saved from the C4D multi-pass system.

I hope this helps.

Rs_test_scene_210827_Rs DIRECT.exr 8.44 MB · 2 downloads

Hello Mike,

could you please share your c4d/redshift settings for the direct saving.

I played around a little, but couldn't get it to work. As far as I know, it's only used for saving (some) AOVs to separate files, while still rendering others to a multipass image.

• 2 months later...

Same problem here, according to Documentation, my exr should be imported like this:https://affinity.help/photo/en-US.lproj/index.html?page=pages/HDR/openexr.html?title=32-bit OpenEXR support, but instead, affinity photo ignores all the other layers. The EXR imports correctly into Blackmagic Fusion.

Also using Redshift, so likely the same issue Mike was having.

PS: +1 on the openEXR-like features, primarily cryptomatte support