You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Transform and "node transform" have different values on the same object

The is happening when the control handles of the bezier curves extend beyond the width/height of the overall shape. It can also be seen with the maths, i.e., when you click on the node tool in your clip X: 295,0028 px + W: 6,9972 px = 302 px and likewise Y: 52,9972 px + 6,9972 px = 53 px.

When you move the control handles so they sit within the width and height of the shape (i.e., they no longer protrude beyond the shape boundry), reposition and resize the shape with the Node tool selected so it appears as X: 295 px Y: 53 px W: 7 px H: 7 px, then both the Move and Node tools will display the same values in the Transform Panel.

I'm unsure if this is would be considered a bug or if it is expected behaviour?

1391159801_ControlHandles.thumb.jpg.78f0cd97d3c2d9e6252566682499aedc.jpg

Affinity Designer 2.4.2 | Affinity Photo 2.4.2 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.2
Affinity Designer  Beta 2.5.0 (2402) | Affinity Photo Beta 2.5.0 (2402) | Affinity Publisher Beta 2.5.0 (2402)

Affinity Designer 1.7.3 | Affinity Photo 1.7.3 | Affinity Publisher 1.10.8
MacBook Pro 16GB, macOS Monterey 12.7.4, Magic Mouse

• Staff

Hi konstantnnn,

I've spoken to development about this and this is By Design. When using the Move Tool the size displayed is for the bounds of the entire curve, however when using the Node Tool, the Transform panel will only reflect the bounds of the actual nodes. This means that even a very slight curve outwards will increase the total bounds for the object, but as this exceeds the position of the Nodes the transform will read differently when selecting just the Nodes. If you want to check the actual object size whilst using the Node Tool you can temporarily turn on 'Transform Mode' this will allow you to transform the selected nodes, but also show you the bounds of all the selected nodes.

For example:
image.png
image.png

Transform Mode enabled
image.png