You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Copy a selection of nodes and paste it as a distinct object

I ran up against this issue while editing a client's file today.  I have a layer that is a bunch of closed curve elements all part of a single curve layer.  I wish to node-select one of these elements and extract it as a distinct object.  Is this truly not possible in Affinity Designer 1.10? 

I thought I would check because I must be missing something.

Any help would be appreciated.

Morning @Dave Vector

Do you have an example?

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  
B| (Please refrain from licking the screen while using this forum)

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

Sure, 

I made an example file (attached) to protect the client's privacy. The first image is the curve layer with a bunch of closed-curve elements.  Selecting it with the node tool, gives us the result of the second image.  I wish to node-select a "two-circle, 5-pointed star" element and extract it as a distinct object (assume the element is a more complicated shape not easily recreated, like this simplified example file). 

If I attempt to copy and paste a single element, the result is the entire curve layer (the whole pattern) duplicated as a new curve layer.

Is this possible in Affinity Designer 1.10?  Please tell me if I am missing an obvious solution and then I can feel humbled :-)

Thanks!

1255529046_Screenshot2021-08-27071232.png.a09c7cc92c8fe7664249212a12351e72.png  1597026177_Screenshot2021-08-27071223.png.497f3114fa21b55048bd1d5aed19fa31.png

Copy Nodes to Distinct Object.afdesign

12 minutes ago, Dave Vector said:

The first image is the curve layer with a bunch of closed-curve elements.

A layer comprising “a bunch of closed-curve elements” is a Curves layer, not a Curve layer, and therein lies the problem. If you want to copy only some of those elements, you need to use the ‘Separate Curves’ command to put each curve on its own layer so that you can select the ones you want.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)