You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

After use New Pattern from Layer Selection crash

Hello.

Please see the video http://somup.com/crjOIlrjLk

My affinity photo is crashing after use New Pattern Layer from Selection. When i change to another tool affinity is closed.

I´m using the last version of affinity on latest beta of Windows 11 (beta channel)
|Geforce 940 M latest drivers.

• Staff

Hey jpintos,

A few of us have tried to reproduce this but we can't - can you share the doc? 

I noticed it was CMYK but that didn't make a difference for me. Also, can you see if you have a crash report please?

Affinity Store version - Go to %AppData%\Affinity\Photo\1.0\CrashReports\reports

Microsoft Store version - Go to %AppData%\Affinity\Photo\1.0 (Store)\CrashReports\reports

You can access the AppData folder by pressing the Windows key + R on your keyboard and then just type %AppData%

I am having the same problem with New Pattern layer crashing Affinity. It doesn't take much to make it crash even with the default 32x32 grid.
Just create new document, a small 800x600 document will do, go layer>New Pattern Layer - Select the brush tool, reduce brush size and place a dot in the centre of pattern. drop the brush tool, select the Move tool and zoom in & out a few times using the (ctrl) & mouse wheel, then click somewhere on the screen - Kerpoof!
It appears to only crash when using (ctrl) & mouse wheel and while the Move tool is selected. Selecting the magnifier tool, the (ctrl) & mouse wheel combination seems to be fine. I've attached the crash report.

System:
Windows 10 Pro 21H1
i7
24GB Ram
Nvidia Quadro  K5000M

d746897b-67c2-42da-8fd9-643f3888a1d0.dmp

1. Create a document
2. Create a blank pixel layer
3. Layer > New Pattern Layer From Selection

You have a Pattern Layer created from an empty pixel layer, try to paint on it with a brush. This will cause the program to crash.
This has been happening since the first version in which Pattern Layer appeared, at least on Windows.

Everything works fine if you create a Pattern Layer from a rasterized rectangle filled with color, or any pixel layer that has pixels. 

I assume that the failure occurs because the Pattern Layer created from an empty pixel layer has an infinite size 🙂
While the Pattern Layer created from the pixel layer has a certain size. 

P. S. If you create a Pattern Layer from a rasterized, color-filled rectangle, and then select all and delete, you will get a transparent Pattern Layer, with a certain size, and it will not cause a crash. Thus, it becomes clear that the crash causes an infinite size of the Pattern Layer, not by the presence of transparency.

15 hours ago, telemax said:

Everything works fine

Not so much...

I can confirm crashing using telemax's recipe. I also discovered AP will crash by...

1. Create new document
  2. Create a shape, then rasterize it.
  3. Layer>New Pattern Layer from Selection
  4. Click a couple times on the new pattern layer AP goes away...

Affinity Photo 2.4..; Affinity Designer 2.4..; Affinity Publisher 2.4..; Affinity2 Beta versions. Affinity Photo,Designer 1.10.6.1605 Win10 Home Version:21H2, Build: 19044.1766: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-5820K CPU @ 3.30GHz, 3301 Mhz, 6 Core(s), 12 Logical Processor(s);32GB Ram, Nvidia GTX 3070, 3-Internal HDD (1 Crucial MX5000 1TB, 1-Crucial MX5000 500GB, 1-WD 1 TB), 4 External HDD

• Staff

Maybe similar - both those reports have slightly different recipes.

One if for interacting with the layer generally which I've struggled to reproduce, the other is for painting on it which crashes each time for me.

I'll just let th e developers decide if they are the same thing but it's entirely possible that they are.