You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Unsplash is missing in the Stock Panel

32 minutes ago, iconoclast said:

after the update today I noticed that Unsplash is missing in the Stock Panels of all three apps. Is there a good reason for it or is it a bug? I'm on Windows 10.

The removal was in the Release Notes, with a link to the explanation :)

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

9 hours ago, walt.farrell said:

The removal was in the Release Notes, with a link to the explanation :)

To save time I am currently using an automated AI to reply to some posts on this forum. If any of "my" posts are wrong or appear to be total b*ll*cks they are the ones generated by the AI. If correct they were probably mine. I apologise for any mistakes made by my AI - I'm sure it will improve with time.

So there it is... another step of monetising Unsplash. To be honest, I expected this and many more "premium" (aka "pay to get") features following bit by bit since I read about Getty Images acquired Unsplash.

»A designer's job is to improve the general quality of life. In fact, it's the only reason for our existence.«
Paul Rand (1914-1996)

On 8/26/2021 at 7:38 AM, Andy05 said:

So there it is... another step of monetising Unsplash. To be honest, I expected this and many more "premium" (aka "pay to get") features following bit by bit since I read about Getty Images acquired Unsplash.

Unfortunately it seems to be a general tendency. I recently turned my back to my formerly beloved painting app ArtRage, that suddenly is only available from the Microsoft and the Apple Store. And the upgrade discount is newly limited for a few weaks and ends at the end of this month. I think, the next step will be In-App Sales. Wheeling and dealing.

16 minutes ago, iconoclast said:

Unfortunately it seems to be a general tendency. I recently turned my back to my formerly beloved painting app ArtRage, that suddenly is only available from the Microsoft and the Apple Store. And the upgrade discount is newly limited for a few weaks and ends at the end of this month. I think, the next step will be In-App Sales. Wheeling and dealing.

Well, the development of an app costs money as does maintaining a service like Unsplash. So I can understand that they try to earn money. As for Unsplash, I'm a bit torn with this, tho. Their service relies on (free) submissions from photographers. Unless they'll start paying back some money to the contributing photographers, I guess the overall quality of the offered images will decrease. 

Because I think that most people like to share their images for free, only if others can get them gratis, too. But if a business starts making money of their free works...?

»A designer's job is to improve the general quality of life. In fact, it's the only reason for our existence.«
Paul Rand (1914-1996)

1 minute ago, Andy05 said:

Well, the development of an app costs money as does maintaining a service like Unsplash. So I can understand that they try to earn money. As for Unsplash, I'm a bit torn with this, tho. Their service relies on (free) submissions from photographers. Unless they'll start paying back some money to the contributing photographers, I guess the overall quality of the offered images will decrease. 

Because I think that most people like to share their images for free, only if others can get them gratis, too. But if a business starts making money of their free works...?

Of course developing costs money. But in case of ArtRage this new conditions are a massive loss of customer friendlyness. Especially if one considers that there haven't been any updates for the former version (AR 6) since late 2019, even there were at least two well known and reported bugs. And it was already controversial if the upgrade from version 5 to 6 was worth the money. Even to buy a software costs money. And I don't think that the few innovations in ArtRage justify this investment for me any longer - especially thinking of the newly bad conditions.

• 2 weeks later...
21 minutes ago, pummelfee said:

after i have placed the image, for crediting them (for example in the imprint)?

After you placed the file appears a little short popup of the photographers name or when you hover the image in the Stock panel you can see the name or click the button Open Stock URL.

------
Windows 10 | i5-8500 CPU | Intel UHD 630 Graphics | 32 GB RAM | Latest Retail and Beta versions of complete Affinity range installed

25 minutes ago, pummelfee said:

I have a question regarding these services. Is there an easy way to find out the photographers Names after i have placed the image, for crediting them (for example in the imprint)?

Good question! Images from sites such as Pixabay generally don’t require attribution, but if you want to provide it I can’t see any way of finding full information other than via a reverse image search.

4 minutes ago, Joachim_L said:

After you placed the file appears a little short popup of the photographers name or when you hover the image in the Stock panel you can see the name or click the button Open Stock URL.

Hovering is good, but that option isn’t available on iPad. As for the ‘Open Stock URL’ feature, it takes you directly to the URL of the image rather than the URL of the page describing the image; e.g. this image, not this page.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

1 minute ago, Alfred said:

As for the ‘Open Stock URL’ feature, it takes you directly to the URL of the image rather than the URL of the page describing the image

Is this OS or browser dependent? Firefox takes me to the page and not the image.

------
Windows 10 | i5-8500 CPU | Intel UHD 630 Graphics | 32 GB RAM | Latest Retail and Beta versions of complete Affinity range installed

3 minutes ago, Joachim_L said:

Is this OS or browser dependent? Firefox takes me to the page and not the image.

It shouldn’t be browser dependent, should it? I’ve reported what I saw in Designer on iPad, so my guess is that the behaviour differs on one or more of the desktop apps.

Alfred spacer.png

13 hours ago, Joachim_L said:

Maybe I overlooked it, but I do not seem to have this button on the Mac or IPad Affinity versions. However, on the Mac (but not iPad) versions, I can double-click on any stock thumbnail, which opens Safari & takes me to a page like the one @Alfred said describes the URL of the image, including the author info, not to a direct link to the image itself.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

16 minutes ago, R C-R said:

Maybe I overlooked it, but I do not seem to have this button on the Mac or IPad Affinity versions.

On the iPad versions of AD and APh a three-bar ‘hamburger’ icon appears in the Stock Studio after an image has been downloaded. Tapping on that icon reveals the ‘Open Stock URL’ menu item.

Alfred spacer.png

5 minutes ago, Alfred said:

On the iPad versions of AD and APh a three-bar ‘hamburger’ icon appears in the Stock Studio after an image has been downloaded. Tapping on that icon reveals the ‘Open Stock URL’ menu item.

Thanks, I had not noticed that hamburger menu does not appear until after the download. Like you said, it takes me directly to the image URL, not the descriptive page. But in the Mac desktop versions double-clicking on the thumbnail opens the descriptive page, plus just hovering the pointer over the thumbnail pops up a tooltip with the author's name.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

• 1 year later...

Necromancing this old thread—but as predicted, Unsplash has slowly moved towards paid (premium) content. I hope they'll still keep offering a good amount of quality open source images in the future, but I'm suspicious...

https://unsplash.com/blog/introducing-unsplash/

Paul Rand (1914-1996)